Difference between revisions of "Michigan Conference of the Missionary Church"

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search
[checked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
m (Added category.)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
The Michigan Conference of the [[United Missionary Church|United Missionary Church]] (known in 2006 as the Missionary Church) was organized in 1896 as a mission conference under the [[Ontario Mennonite Brethren in Christ|Ontario Conference]], later becoming an independent conference. The earliest congregations in the district had been formed as the result of the work of a young Canadian convert, [[Cober, Peter (1853-1941)|Peter Cober]], and [[Brenneman, Daniel (1834-1919)|Daniel Brenneman]]. Other early workers were Samuel Shirk, D. U. Lambert, and J. Schlichter. The first presiding elder was [[Anthony, Ebenezer (1865-1913) |E. O. Anthony]]. In 1954 the conference had 43 congregations and mission stations, with a total membership of 2,049, of which 16 congregations with 964 members were in the South District, 24 congregations with 1,038 members were in the North District, and 3 unorganized churches had 47 members; most of the churches are small, the following 5 having more than 100 members each: Detroit (Dakota Ave.) 243, Port Huron 177, [[Brown City Missionary Church (Brown City, Michigan, USA)|Brown City]] 126, Yale Trinity 123, Pontiac 106.
 
The Michigan Conference of the [[United Missionary Church|United Missionary Church]] (known in 2006 as the Missionary Church) was organized in 1896 as a mission conference under the [[Ontario Mennonite Brethren in Christ|Ontario Conference]], later becoming an independent conference. The earliest congregations in the district had been formed as the result of the work of a young Canadian convert, [[Cober, Peter (1853-1941)|Peter Cober]], and [[Brenneman, Daniel (1834-1919)|Daniel Brenneman]]. Other early workers were Samuel Shirk, D. U. Lambert, and J. Schlichter. The first presiding elder was [[Anthony, Ebenezer (1865-1913) |E. O. Anthony]]. In 1954 the conference had 43 congregations and mission stations, with a total membership of 2,049, of which 16 congregations with 964 members were in the South District, 24 congregations with 1,038 members were in the North District, and 3 unorganized churches had 47 members; most of the churches are small, the following 5 having more than 100 members each: Detroit (Dakota Ave.) 243, Port Huron 177, [[Brown City Missionary Church (Brown City, Michigan, USA)|Brown City]] 126, Yale Trinity 123, Pontiac 106.
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 671|date=1957|a1_last=Bender|a1_first=Harold S|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 671|date=1957|a1_last=Bender|a1_first=Harold S|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 +
[[Category:Area/Regional Conferences]]

Latest revision as of 15:58, 27 July 2014

The Michigan Conference of the United Missionary Church (known in 2006 as the Missionary Church) was organized in 1896 as a mission conference under the Ontario Conference, later becoming an independent conference. The earliest congregations in the district had been formed as the result of the work of a young Canadian convert, Peter Cober, and Daniel Brenneman. Other early workers were Samuel Shirk, D. U. Lambert, and J. Schlichter. The first presiding elder was E. O. Anthony. In 1954 the conference had 43 congregations and mission stations, with a total membership of 2,049, of which 16 congregations with 964 members were in the South District, 24 congregations with 1,038 members were in the North District, and 3 unorganized churches had 47 members; most of the churches are small, the following 5 having more than 100 members each: Detroit (Dakota Ave.) 243, Port Huron 177, Brown City 126, Yale Trinity 123, Pontiac 106.


Author(s) Harold S Bender
Date Published 1957

Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. "Michigan Conference of the Missionary Church." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 23 Oct 2021. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Michigan_Conference_of_the_Missionary_Church&oldid=123684.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. (1957). Michigan Conference of the Missionary Church. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 October 2021, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Michigan_Conference_of_the_Missionary_Church&oldid=123684.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 671. All rights reserved.


©1996-2021 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.