Difference between revisions of "Metzler Mennonite Church (Akron, Pennsylvania, USA)"

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search
[checked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
(added categories)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
The Metzler Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), 120 S. 10th St., Akron in West Earl Township, [[Lancaster County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster County]], Pennsylvania, is a member of the [[Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Lancaster Conference]]. It was named for Jacob Metzler, who on 6 May 1827 donated 60 perches of land to the trustees of the congregation. This was the home district of [[Burkholder, Christian (1746-1809)|Bishop Christian Burkholder]] (1746-1809). Earlier the members had worshiped in private homes or at [[Groffdale Mennonite Church (Leola, Pennsylvania, USA)|Groffdale]], which was always a part of the circuit. Jacob Weber and Jacob Stauffer, two of the ministers here, led the schism which resulted in the [[Stauffer Mennonite Church|Stauffer Mennonites]] (Pike meetinghouse) in 1845. The Metzler meetinghouse was enlarged in 1864. A new one 40 x 62 ft. was built in 1897 and renovated and enlarged in 1952. In 1956 the congregation numbered 235, with Eli G. Sauder, John S. Martin, Amos H. Sauder, and Paul S. Wenger as preachers.
 
The Metzler Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), 120 S. 10th St., Akron in West Earl Township, [[Lancaster County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster County]], Pennsylvania, is a member of the [[Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Lancaster Conference]]. It was named for Jacob Metzler, who on 6 May 1827 donated 60 perches of land to the trustees of the congregation. This was the home district of [[Burkholder, Christian (1746-1809)|Bishop Christian Burkholder]] (1746-1809). Earlier the members had worshiped in private homes or at [[Groffdale Mennonite Church (Leola, Pennsylvania, USA)|Groffdale]], which was always a part of the circuit. Jacob Weber and Jacob Stauffer, two of the ministers here, led the schism which resulted in the [[Stauffer Mennonite Church|Stauffer Mennonites]] (Pike meetinghouse) in 1845. The Metzler meetinghouse was enlarged in 1864. A new one 40 x 62 ft. was built in 1897 and renovated and enlarged in 1952. In 1956 the congregation numbered 235, with Eli G. Sauder, John S. Martin, Amos H. Sauder, and Paul S. Wenger as preachers.
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 659|date=1957|a1_last=Landis|a1_first=Ira D|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 659|date=1957|a1_last=Landis|a1_first=Ira D|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 +
 +
[[Category:Churches]]
 +
[[Category:Mennonite Church (MC) Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Mennonite Church USA Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Lancaster Mennonite Conference Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Pennsylvania Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:United States Congregations]]

Revision as of 19:05, 18 March 2014

The Metzler Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), 120 S. 10th St., Akron in West Earl Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, is a member of the Lancaster Conference. It was named for Jacob Metzler, who on 6 May 1827 donated 60 perches of land to the trustees of the congregation. This was the home district of Bishop Christian Burkholder (1746-1809). Earlier the members had worshiped in private homes or at Groffdale, which was always a part of the circuit. Jacob Weber and Jacob Stauffer, two of the ministers here, led the schism which resulted in the Stauffer Mennonites (Pike meetinghouse) in 1845. The Metzler meetinghouse was enlarged in 1864. A new one 40 x 62 ft. was built in 1897 and renovated and enlarged in 1952. In 1956 the congregation numbered 235, with Eli G. Sauder, John S. Martin, Amos H. Sauder, and Paul S. Wenger as preachers.


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1957

Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "Metzler Mennonite Church (Akron, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 18 Aug 2022. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Metzler_Mennonite_Church_(Akron,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116195.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1957). Metzler Mennonite Church (Akron, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 August 2022, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Metzler_Mennonite_Church_(Akron,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116195.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 659. All rights reserved.


©1996-2022 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.