Mennonite Church of Dillon (Tremont, Illinois, USA)

From GAMEO
Revision as of 15:15, 1 February 2024 by SamSteiner (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Hopedale Mennonite Church began a Sunday school extension on 3 June 1945 in a former Methodist Episcopal church in the unincorporated community of Dillon, Illinois. John V. Troyer led this outreach as superintendent. By the end of 1947, regular Sunday evening services began at Dillon. John V. Troyer was ordained on 14 September 1952 to serve as pastor of the independent Mennonite Church of Dillon congregation that organized on that same day. It also went by the name, Dillon Mennonite Church.

It held a ground-breaking ceremony for a new building on 4 March 1956. It dedicated the new building on 17 March 1957.

Bibliography

"Dedication of new church at Dillon,..." Gospel Herald 50, no. 6 (5 February 1957): 140.

"Ground was broken for a new church...." Gospel Herald 49, no. 11 (13 March 1956): 252.

Kauffmann, Ivan J., ed. 100 years at Hopedale: 1854-1954. Hopedale, Ill.: The Church, 1954: 31.

Smith, Willard H. Mennonites in Illinois. Studies in Anabaptist and Mennonite History, 24. Scottdale, Pa.: Herald Press, 1983: 215, 543.

Additional Information

Address: 20549 Peach Street, Tremont, Illinois 61568

Phone: 309-925-3604

Website:

Denominational Affiliations: Illinois Mennonite Conference

Mennonite Church USA

Pastoral Leaders at Mennonite Church of Dillon

Name Years
of Service
John V. Troyer (1911-2004) 1952-1988?
Robert D. Nafziger 1980-

Mennonite Church of Dillon Membership

Year Members
1952 17
1960 30
1970 32
1980 30
1990 42
2000 51
2009 55
2020 55

Original Mennonite Encyclopedia Article

By Nelson P. Springer. Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 62. All rights reserved.

The Mennonite Church of Dillon (Mennonite Church (MC)} was organized as a separate congregation under the Illinois Mennonite Conference in September 1952, after several years as a branch Sunday school sponsored by the Hopedale Mennonite congregation. Meetings were held in a building owned by the Methodist Episcopal Church in the unincorporated village of Dillon, about five miles southwest of Tremont. John V. Troyer was ordained as pastor when the congregation was organized.


Author(s) Samuel J Steiner
Date Published February 2024

Cite This Article

MLA style

Steiner, Samuel J. "Mennonite Church of Dillon (Tremont, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2024. Web. 18 May 2024. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Church_of_Dillon_(Tremont,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=178230.

APA style

Steiner, Samuel J. (February 2024). Mennonite Church of Dillon (Tremont, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 May 2024, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Church_of_Dillon_(Tremont,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=178230.




©1996-2024 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.