Difference between revisions of "Mahoning County (Ohio, USA)"

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search
[checked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130823)
m (Text replace - "Ohio (State)" to "Ohio (USA)")
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[File:OH_Mahoning.jpg|300px|thumb|right|''Mahoning County, Ohio.
 
[[File:OH_Mahoning.jpg|300px|thumb|right|''Mahoning County, Ohio.
  
U.S. Census TIGER/Line map '']]    Mahoning County, [[Ohio (State)|Ohio]], located in eastern Ohio adjacent to the [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]] state line and formed from Columbiana and Trumbull counties in 1846, in 1957 was the home of two Mennonite churches ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), [[Midway Mennonite Church (Columbiana, Ohio, USA)|Midway]] with a membership of 159 and [[North Lima Mennonite Church (North Lima, Ohio, USA)|North Lima]] with 149, and one Wisler congregation ([[Old Colony Mennonites|Old Colony Mennonite]]), Pleasant View, with a membership of 94. The first Mennonites in the county came from [[Bucks County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Bucks Co.]], Pennsylvania, in 1807 and were later joined by others from [[Canada|Canada]]. The [[Leetonia Mennonite Church (Leetonia, Ohio, USA)|Leetonia]] congregation, located a few miles to the south in [[Columbiana County (Ohio, USA)|Columbiana County]] and organized ten years later, is part of the settlement. Early bishops were [[Oberholtzer, Jacob (1767-1847)|Jacob Oberholzer]] and [[Nold, Jacob (1765-1834)|Jacob Nold]]. Until the early 1950s, when a bishop was ordained for each of the three Mennonite Church congregations, [[Steiner, Albert James (1876-1965)|A. J. Steiner]] had served as their bishop. The town of North Lima was the trading center of the community. Youngstown, 11 miles (18 km) to the north, was the county seat.
+
U.S. Census TIGER/Line map '']]    Mahoning County, [[Ohio (USA)|Ohio]], located in eastern Ohio adjacent to the [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]] state line and formed from Columbiana and Trumbull counties in 1846, in 1957 was the home of two Mennonite churches ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), [[Midway Mennonite Church (Columbiana, Ohio, USA)|Midway]] with a membership of 159 and [[North Lima Mennonite Church (North Lima, Ohio, USA)|North Lima]] with 149, and one Wisler congregation ([[Old Colony Mennonites|Old Colony Mennonite]]), Pleasant View, with a membership of 94. The first Mennonites in the county came from [[Bucks County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Bucks Co.]], Pennsylvania, in 1807 and were later joined by others from [[Canada|Canada]]. The [[Leetonia Mennonite Church (Leetonia, Ohio, USA)|Leetonia]] congregation, located a few miles to the south in [[Columbiana County (Ohio, USA)|Columbiana County]] and organized ten years later, is part of the settlement. Early bishops were [[Oberholtzer, Jacob (1767-1847)|Jacob Oberholzer]] and [[Nold, Jacob (1765-1834)|Jacob Nold]]. Until the early 1950s, when a bishop was ordained for each of the three Mennonite Church congregations, [[Steiner, Albert James (1876-1965)|A. J. Steiner]] had served as their bishop. The town of North Lima was the trading center of the community. Youngstown, 11 miles (18 km) to the north, was the county seat.
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 441|date=1957|a1_last=Umble|a1_first=John S|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 441|date=1957|a1_last=Umble|a1_first=John S|a2_last= |a2_first= }}

Revision as of 03:33, 20 February 2014

Mahoning County, Ohio. U.S. Census TIGER/Line map

Mahoning County, Ohio, located in eastern Ohio adjacent to the Pennsylvania state line and formed from Columbiana and Trumbull counties in 1846, in 1957 was the home of two Mennonite churches (Mennonite Church), Midway with a membership of 159 and North Lima with 149, and one Wisler congregation (Old Colony Mennonite), Pleasant View, with a membership of 94. The first Mennonites in the county came from Bucks Co., Pennsylvania, in 1807 and were later joined by others from Canada. The Leetonia congregation, located a few miles to the south in Columbiana County and organized ten years later, is part of the settlement. Early bishops were Jacob Oberholzer and Jacob Nold. Until the early 1950s, when a bishop was ordained for each of the three Mennonite Church congregations, A. J. Steiner had served as their bishop. The town of North Lima was the trading center of the community. Youngstown, 11 miles (18 km) to the north, was the county seat.


Author(s) John S Umble
Date Published 1957

Cite This Article

MLA style

Umble, John S. "Mahoning County (Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 30 Jul 2021. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mahoning_County_(Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113496.

APA style

Umble, John S. (1957). Mahoning County (Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 July 2021, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mahoning_County_(Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113496.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 441. All rights reserved.


©1996-2021 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.