Langham Evangelical Bible Church (Langham, Saskatchewan, Canada)
Langham Evangelical Bible Church, now in the town of Langham, Saskatchewan, was formerly known as South Bruderthaler Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church. The congregation began services in 1911, and formally organized in May 1925. Langham was affiliated with the Langham Bruderthaler Church north of Langham until 1924 when that church decided to adopt a different form of baptism and the South Bruderthaler, unable to accept that, decided to form a separate congregation. The first minister was Jacob R. Doerksen (died 1940).
The first building was occupied in 1912. On 3 August 1929, the original building was destroyed by fire. The basement of a new church was completed, but because of the Depression the superstructure could not be finished at that time. The basement served as the place of worship until 1942, when the remainder of the church was completed. A dedication service was held on 23 August 1942. In 1956 the church was moved to Langham. Renovations took place in 1960. The last morning service in the building was held on 25 August 1991. Evening services were held in the building for the next three months to accommodate the church that had purchased the building, St. Mark's Parish. The first service was held in the unfinished sanctuary of a new structure on 1 December 1991, and a dedication service was held on 13 June 1993.
The congregation was known as Langham Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church until 1977. The language of worship is English; the transition from German occurred in the 1950s.
Rempel, G. S. A Historical Sketch of the Churches of the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren. 1939, 109 pp.
Schmidt, Sarah. A Glimpse of the Past: Langham Evangelical Bible Church 1911-1986. 1986, 84 pp.
Mailing Address: Box 115, Langham, SK S0K 2L0
Location: 47 5th Avenue, Langham, SK
Website: Langham Evangelical Bible Church
Evangelical Mennonite Brethren / Fellowship of Evangelical Bible Churches
Langham Evangelical Bible Church Leading Ministers
|Minister||Years of Service|
|Jacob R. Doerksen||1911-1940|
|Edward H. Epp||1943|
|Abram P. Toews||1944-1948|
|John B. Guenter||1948-1949|
|William J. Peters||1951-1953|
|Jacob N. Hiebert||1954-1959|
|Cornelius A. Wall||1959-1966|
|Royal D. Schmidt||1966-1968|
|Edward Stoesz (interim)||1972|
|Frank F. Eidse||1978-1989|
|Darrell F. Derksen||1989-1994|
|Ben Heppner (interim)||1998-2000|
|Robert Russell (interim)||2002-2003|
|Dale R. Carson||2003-2006|
|Greg A. Guarnett||2007-present|
Langham Evangelical Bible Church Membership
|Jacob N. Hiebert|
|Date Published||February 1989|
Cite This Article
Gingerich, Melvin, Jacob N. Hiebert and Marlene Epp. "Langham Evangelical Bible Church (Langham, Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 1989. Web. 16 Aug 2022. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Langham_Evangelical_Bible_Church_(Langham,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=167439.
Gingerich, Melvin, Jacob N. Hiebert and Marlene Epp. (February 1989). Langham Evangelical Bible Church (Langham, Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 16 August 2022, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Langham_Evangelical_Bible_Church_(Langham,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=167439.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 290; vol. 4, p. 584. All rights reserved.
©1996-2022 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.