Das Kunstbuch is a codex of about 740 pages, 22 x 16 cm, in the Bürgerbibliothek at Bern, Switzerland. It contains a collection of 42 letters and documents from 1527-1555. The editor and copyist was Jörg Maler of Augsburg, who signed his work on 4 September 1561. The following writers and writings are represented in the codex: Pilgram Marpeck 15 letters and one tract, Leopold Scharnschlager three letters and three tracts, Leonhard Schiemer two letters and two tracts, Jörg Maler two letters and one tract, Sigmund Bosch two letters; Hans Hut, Hans Has, Cornelius Vech, Helena Freiberger (von Freyberg), Hans Bichel (Büchel), Christian Entfelder, Valentin Eckelsamer (Ickelsamer), and Hans Schlaffer represented by one document each; two anonymous tracts; one letter from the churches in Moravia to Marpeck. None of these documents are known from any other printed or manuscript source except the one by Han Hut and two of those by Schiemer. The codex was first reported to the learned world in July 1955 by Heinold Fast and Gerhard Goeters, who noticed it in the Bürgerbibliothek. It is of extraordinary importance, throwing new light on South German and Swiss Anabaptism particularly of the period of 1540-1560. A detailed analysis and evaluation of the Kunstbuch is given by Heinold Fast in the Archiv für Reformationsgeschichte.
Fast, Heinold. "Pilgram Marbeck und das oberdeutsche Täufertum. Ein neuer Handschriftenfund." Archiv für Reformationsgeschichte XLVII (1956): 252-259.
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Kunstbuch, Das." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1958. Web. 19 Sep 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kunstbuch,_Das&oldid=92364.
Bender, Harold S. (1958). Kunstbuch, Das. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 September 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kunstbuch,_Das&oldid=92364.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 259; vol. 4, p. 1146. All rights reserved.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.