Klein Lubin (Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
Klein Lubin, (also known as Kleinlubin, Klein Lubien, Klein Lublin; in Polish, Mały Lubień; coordinates: 53.514047, 18.732448 [53° 30' N, 18° 44' E]; population in 1905, 70), was a village in West Prussia on the Vistula in the territory of Schwetz. It is located approximately 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) north-west of Grudziądz (Graudenz), 22 km. (13.5 miles) north-east of Świecie (Schwetz), and 27 km. (17 miles) north-east of Chełmno (Kulm).
Klein Lubin was settled by Dutch colonists as early as 1525. In 1595 they obtained some privileges, including free transportation of goods along the Vistula and later also freedom from military levies. A land lease of 1632 shows that at this time the farmers of Klein Lubin were all Mennonites. They were probably members of the Montau congregation. Some of the Mennonite families living there in the 17th and 18th centuries were Schultz, Janzon (Jantzen), Görtz, Vogt, Baltzer, Schroeder and Rosenfeldt.
Until 1772 Klein Lubin was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province on 31 January 1773, called West Prussia, in which Klein Lubin was located. Klein Lubin was situated in the district (Kreis) of Schwetz in Regierungsbezirk Marienwerder until the end of World War I, when it came under the jurisdiction of the Pomeranian Voivodeship of the Second Polish Republic. Klein Lubin came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until March 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2013 Wielki Lubień was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Dragacz, within Świecie County, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship.
The 1776 Prussian census lists five Mennonite families in Klein Lubin with the following surnames: Baltzer, Goertz, Nickel, Rosfeld, and Schroeder. In 1935 the Montau-Gruppe Mennonite Church listed four families from Klein Lubin with the following surnames: Franz, Nickel, Schroeder, and Tiahrt.
"Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Hans-Jürgen Wolf. Web. 29 September 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de.
Szper, Felicia. Nederlandsche Nederzettingen in West-Pruisen. Enkhuizen, 1913: 133.
Wiebe, Herbert. Das Siedlungswerk niederländischer Mennoniten im Weichseltal. Marburg a.d. Lahn, 1952: 22 f., 79.
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
|Richard D. Thiessen|
|Date Published||March 2013|
Cite This Article
van der Zijpp, Nanne and Richard D. Thiessen. "Klein Lubin (Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2013. Web. 16 Aug 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Klein_Lubin_(Kuyavian-Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=88729.
van der Zijpp, Nanne and Richard D. Thiessen. (March 2013). Klein Lubin (Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 16 August 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Klein_Lubin_(Kuyavian-Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=88729.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 195. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.