Kidron Mennonite Church (Kidron, Ohio, USA)
Kidron Mennonite Church, located at 3987 Kidron Road, Kidron, Wayne County, Ohio, a member of the Ohio Conference of Mennonite Church USA, was organized 18 October 1936 with 332 members under the leadership of bishops Aaron Mast of Belleville, Pennsylvania and A. J. Steiner of North Lima, Ohio, who had been appointed by the Ohio-Eastern Amish Mennonite Conference to organize the group which was withdrawing from the Sonnenberg independent (Swiss) congregation, founded in the community in 1817 by immigrants from the Swiss Jura congregations. The membership in 1954 was 491, most of whom were rural people with a Swiss background. The meetinghouse, a brick structure with a seating capacity of 800, was erected in 1937. On 15 November 1937, Allen Bixler was ordained minister, and Reuben Hofstetter deacon. On 24 May 1938, Isaac Zuercher was ordained minister. On 21 December 1941, Hofstetter was ordained as bishop and had the oversight of the congregation. All three men were still serving in 1956. A mission outpost was started at Dillonvale, Ohio, in 1942, and with several workers stationed there had a membership of 23 in 1956. In 2004 Kidron's membership was 693.
In 2018 the Kidron Mennonite Church withdrew from the Ohio Conference of Mennonite Church USA. It has become affiliated with the Evana Network.
3987 Kidron Road
|Date Published||March 2019|
Cite This Article
Bixler, Allan and Steiner Sam. "Kidron Mennonite Church (Kidron, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2019. Web. 3 Aug 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kidron_Mennonite_Church_(Kidron,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=163764.
Bixler, Allan and Steiner Sam. (March 2019). Kidron Mennonite Church (Kidron, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 3 August 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kidron_Mennonite_Church_(Kidron,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=163764.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 173. All rights reserved.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.