Kent County (DE)
Kent County, Delaware is an Old Order Amish Mennonite settlement, which in 1957 consisted of four districts having about 250 members, located west of Dover. Amish families from various states moved to Kent County. The first to come were the families of Bishop David Y. Miller and Jacob K. Miller in 1915. Others came from Geauga County, Ohio, Oscoda County, Michigan, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, Somerset County, Pennsylvania, and Ford County, Kansas. The original settlement was divided into two districts in 1928, and the west district of the original settlement was divided in 1933. In 1946 several Byler families with others consisting of about 18 families moved to Catlett, Faquier County, Virginia. In 1947 a more progressive congregation was organized under the leadership of Bishop Seth Byler of Stark County, Ohio. In 1956 the bishops were John D. Hochstetler, D. Leroy Nissley, Eli S. Miller, and Simon W. Byler.
|Author(s)||John A Hostetler|
Cite This Article
Hostetler, John A. "Kent County (DE)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 10 Jul 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kent_County_(DE)&oldid=92265.
Hostetler, John A. (1957). Kent County (DE). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 10 July 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kent_County_(DE)&oldid=92265.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 166. All rights reserved.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.