Hutterthal (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)
Hutterthal was a village of the Hutterian Brethren in the province of Taurida in South Russia. They came from Vyshenka, province of Tchernigov, in 1843 and established their village on a tract of steppe-land which Johann Cornies had leased for a long time previously. At the request of the government Cornies guided the entire venture and became the best friend and adviser of the new settlers. Many were very poor, unable to provide food or shelter for themselves for the winter; Cornies secured the necessary grain as well as a loan of 15,000 rubles from the crown. In 1844, 30 houses were finished, and soon the second village, Johannesruh, founded. Economic prosperity came soon. By 1846 they had paid off their entire debt to the government. When universal military service was introduced in Russia, the Hutterites again abandoned their homes, and in 1874 immigrated to America. Their villages passed into Lutheran possession.
Daughter colonies of the Hutterthal Hutterite Colony include: Johannesruh Hutterite Colony (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine); Hutterdorf Hutterite Colony (Hutterdorf, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine); Sheromet Hutterite Colony (Sheromet, Ekaterinoslav, Ukraine); and Neu-Hutterthal Hutterite Colony (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine).
Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 384.
|Author(s)||David H Epp|
Cite This Article
Epp, David H. "Hutterthal (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 17 Nov 2019. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hutterthal_(Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=155735.
Epp, David H. (1956). Hutterthal (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 November 2019, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hutterthal_(Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=155735.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 867. All rights reserved.
©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.