Hutchinson County (South Dakota, USA)
Hutchinson County, in southeastern South Dakota, is the most heavily Mennonite-populated county in the state. Beginning in 1874 until the early 1880s a heavy stream of Mennonites settled in the county, all coming from Russia. Freeman (1955 population 1000, about two-thirds Mennonite) very early came to be an active center of Mennonite life. In this city there were many Mennonite business establishments, a Mennonite home for the aged, Freeman Junior College, and a General Conference Mennonite church. Many Mennonites from the surrounding territory come to Freeman to retire. There were in the county in 1955 six Mennonite churches-one Mennonite Brethren, one Krimmer Mennonite Brethren, and four General Conference Mennonite, all but one of which were rural, and three Hutterian Brethren Bruderhofs, all located along the James River, with a population of 275 in 1955. The estimated 1,700 Mennonites in the county constituted approximately 14% of its total population at that time.
|Author(s)||J. D Unruh|
Cite This Article
Unruh, J. D. "Hutchinson County (South Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 17 Aug 2022. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hutchinson_County_(South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=170599.
Unruh, J. D. (1956). Hutchinson County (South Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 August 2022, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hutchinson_County_(South_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=170599.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 850. All rights reserved.
©1996-2022 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.