Hirschler, John S. (1847-1915)
John S. Hirschler, a Mennonite (General Conference Mennonite [GCM]) minister and leader, was born at Maxweiler, Bavaria, Germany on 4 July 1847, and in 1856 immigrated with his parents to Summerfield, Illinois. In 1868-1871 he attended Wadsworth Seminary, Ohio, after which he served the Mennonite Church at Franklin Center, Iowa, for 13 years. Here he married Christine Schmidt. Following a call of the Board of Missions of the General Conference Mennonite Church he went to Hillsboro, Kansas, in 1884, where he organized the First Mennonite Church. He traveled much and spoke on many occasions, especially at conferences and conventions, promoting religious education in the Mennonite constituency. He was a member of the town Board of Education in Hillsboro, was a co-founder of the Mennonite Teachers' Institute, Bethel College, and of the Hillsboro Preparatory School. He also served as secretary of the General Conference and as its chairman in 1902-1915, and as a member of its Board of Trustees and its Program Committee. Because of ill health he resigned from his position as pastor in 1906 and went to Upland, California, where he continued to serve by establishing a church at Escondido and a tubercular sanitarium at Alta Loma. In 1911-1912 he made extensive trips in the northern and western districts to collect funds for this purpose. In 1914 he became ill again, and died 17 May 1915.
Haury, S. S. "Johann S. Hirschler." Bundesbote-Kalender. Berne, 1916: 30 ff.
Cite This Article
Krahn, Cornelius. "Hirschler, John S. (1847-1915)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 5 Dec 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hirschler,_John_S._(1847-1915)&oldid=113377.
Krahn, Cornelius. (1956). Hirschler, John S. (1847-1915). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 5 December 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hirschler,_John_S._(1847-1915)&oldid=113377.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 747. All rights reserved.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.