Hebron Mennonite Church (Fulks Run, Virginia, USA)
Hebron Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church) is a rural mission church located about four miles southeast of Fulks Run, Rockingham County, Virginia, under the Virginia Conference. About 1850 Abraham Brenneman, and perhaps others, moved from Linville Creek Valley into Brocks Gap, situated behind the first range of the Appalachian Mountains, about seven miles west of Broadway, Virginia. In 1870 preaching services were started near there. In 1881 the Mennonites in partnership with the United Brethren built a meetinghouse about 1.5 miles south of Fulks Run, where services were held for a number of years. The church building then passed into the hands of the United Brethren Church. Later services were again held in two schoolhouses in the same neighborhood several miles east and northeast of Mt. Carmel, the first meetinghouse. A frame building called Hebron was built in 1915 on the Shoemaker River about four miles south east of Fulks Run to serve the then growing congregation.
Membership in 1954 was 66; the pastor was Lewis P. Showalter.
In 2014 the Ministers were Mark Conley and Robert G. Wenger and the church had 70 members.
Address: 13594 Hopkins Gap Road, Fulks Run, VA 22830-2922
Location: 12467 Millertown Road, Fulks Run, Virginia
Cite This Article
Showalter, Timothy. "Hebron Mennonite Church (Fulks Run, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 24 Jan 2021. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hebron_Mennonite_Church_(Fulks_Run,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=117309.
Showalter, Timothy. (1956). Hebron Mennonite Church (Fulks Run, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 January 2021, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hebron_Mennonite_Church_(Fulks_Run,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=117309.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 684. All rights reserved.
©1996-2021 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.