Freeport Mennonite Church (Freeport, Illinois, USA)

Revision as of 19:13, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (talk | contribs) (CSV import - 20130820)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Freeport Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located about 7.5 miles northeast of Freeport, Stephenson County, Illinois, is a member of the Illinois Conference, and in 1954 had a membership of 170. It was organized about 1845 by Mennonite settlers from Ontario. The first building was constructed about 1863, and to meet the increasing membership was enlarged about 1888, and again in 1912 and in 1943. The first Sunday school was organized in 1878, the young people's meetings in 1890, and the sewing circle in 1910. The congregation through its history has ordained three deacons, ten ministers, and three bishops. In 1954 Richard Yordy was pastor and bishop.

Additional Information

Address: 3416 East Brick School Road, Freeport,  Illinois

Phone: 815-449-2498

Denominational Affiliations:

Illinois Mennonite Conference

Mennonite Church USA

Author(s) Howard J Zehr
Date Published 1956

Cite This Article

MLA style

Zehr, Howard J. "Freeport Mennonite Church (Freeport, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 13 Jul 2020.,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=80999.

APA style

Zehr, Howard J. (1956). Freeport Mennonite Church (Freeport, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 13 July 2020, from,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=80999.


Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 390. All rights reserved.

©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.