Difference between revisions of "Franconia Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities"
(CSV import - 20130816)
Revision as of 19:31, 16 August 2013
The Franconia Conference decided on 3 May 1917 to organize a mission board. Members of the conference had already been serving in the Philadelphia Mission, which was started by the Lancaster Conference Sunday School Mission, later the Eastern Mennonite Board of Missions. Joseph Bechtel served as superintendent from the beginning until his death in 1928. The conference in May 1908 had decided to aid in the purchase of the Howard Street property in Philadelphia. It was decided that each congregation should have one member on the board.
The first officers of the organized board were Allen A. Freed, president, Isaac F. Detwller, vice-president, William D. Roth, secretary, and Garret S. Nice, treasurer. A charter was secured in July 1918. The first conference mission station was opened at Norristown on 6 April 1919, and others followed in rapid succession; by 1954 there were 17 stations in the district, and a mission in Cuba.
|Author(s)||J. C Clemens|
Cite This Article
Clemens, J. C. "Franconia Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 23 Apr 2019. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Franconia_Mennonite_Board_of_Missions_and_Charities&oldid=64124.
Clemens, J. C. (1956). Franconia Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 April 2019, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Franconia_Mennonite_Board_of_Missions_and_Charities&oldid=64124.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 367. All rights reserved.
©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.