First Mennonite Church (Sugarcreek, Ohio, USA)

Revision as of 22:41, 8 November 2016 by RichardThiessen (talk | contribs) (Text replace - "<strong>Address</strong>:" to "'''Address''':")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Sugarcreek First Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) of Sugarcreek, Tuscarawas County, Ohio, was organized as a congregation in the Middle District Conference (General Conference Mennonite Church) in 1926 with 84 charter members under the leadership of Lester Hostetler. The group had withdrawn from the Walnut Creek (Mennonite Church) congregation of the Ohio and Eastern Amish Mennonite Conference. The first meetinghouse here was erected in 1894 as a community church, services being conducted by the United Brethren and Reformed churches. Later the Church of the Brethren also met here. Additions were built in 1912 and 1928. In 1914 both the United Brethren and the Reformed congregations withdrew to meetinghouses of their own; the Church of the Brethren and the Mennonites used it for services each Sunday until 1956, when the Mennonites purchased the Brethren interest in the building and are now erecting a new church. The membership in 1957 was 250, with Harold D. Thieszen as pastor.

Additional Information

Address: 217 West Main Street, Sugarcreek, OH 44681.

Phone: 330-852-2822.

Author(s) Wm. H S.
Date Published 1959

Cite This Article

MLA style

S., Wm. H. "First Mennonite Church (Sugarcreek, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 16 Jun 2021.,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=140051.

APA style

S., Wm. H. (1959). First Mennonite Church (Sugarcreek, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 16 June 2021, from,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=140051.


Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 653-654. All rights reserved.

©1996-2021 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.