Fairview Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (Fairview, Oklahoma, USA)
The Fairview Church of God in Christ, Mennonite congregation near Fairview, Oklahoma, USA was established in 1895. The congregation started when several families from Kansas came to Oklahoma after the government opened the Cherokee Strip to settlers in 1893. These included the families of Benjamin Nightingale, Henry Nichols, and Henry Koehn.
In the early years, the families met for worship in homes. In 1902 the congregation built a small church on the northeast corner of Benjamin Nightingale's farm. This was located one mile north and 0.5 miles west of the current building. In 1920 a new building was erected on land provided by Jacob H. Boehs southeast of Fairview. In 1945 the church was enlarged, and in 1954 totally remodeled. Further additions and a full basement were added in 1964/65.
Cedar Christian School began in 1981 after the congregation constructed a new school building.
In 2020 the congregation was part of the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. The minister was Matt Levings.
Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. Yearbook (1996-2020).
Histories of the congregations. 3rd. ed. Moundridge, Kansas: Gospel Publishers, 1999: 453-457.
Address: N53007 Road, Fairview, Oklahoma 73747
Location Corner of E0530 & N2570 Roads, Fairview, Oklahoma, three miles east of Fairview on 8-58 and two miles south.
Ordained Pastors at the Fairview Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Church
|Henry Heer (1842-1915)||1902-1908?|
|Samuel W. Koehn (1879-1956)||1909-1950s?|
|Heinrich "Henry" D. Smith (1869-1937)||1919-1937|
|Fred Penner (1880-1968)||1919-1950s?|
|Samuel A. Nichols (1894-1968)||1919-1920|
|Daniel J. Smith (1894-1986)||1933-1970s?|
|George M. Nichols (1902-1991)||1933-1980s?|
|Elmer Boehs (1912-1983)||1950-1983|
|Carl H. Nightingale (1923-2000)||1959-1968|
|Dale K. Becker
|Samuel S. Shirk||2018-present|
Membership at the Fairview Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Church
Original Mennonite Encyclopedia Article
By George M. Nichols. Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 289. All rights reserved.
Fairview Church of God in Christ Mennonite Church, organized in 1895, is situated four miles southeast of Fairview, Major County, Oklahoma. Worship services were held in the homes until 1901 when a church was built, which was enlarged in 1920, and again in 1944, so that it seated 350. The 1953 membership was 235, in the charge of George M. Nichols, assisted by Dan Smith, Fred Penner, Sam W. Koehn, and Elmer Boehs. Weekly Sunday morning and evening worship services, Sunday school, and midweek meetings were being held.
|Author(s)||Samuel J Steiner|
|Date Published||February 2021|
Cite This Article
Steiner, Samuel J. "Fairview Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (Fairview, Oklahoma, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2021. Web. 20 Oct 2021. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Fairview_Church_of_God_in_Christ,_Mennonite_(Fairview,_Oklahoma,_USA)&oldid=170263.
Steiner, Samuel J. (February 2021). Fairview Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (Fairview, Oklahoma, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 October 2021, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Fairview_Church_of_God_in_Christ,_Mennonite_(Fairview,_Oklahoma,_USA)&oldid=170263.
©1996-2021 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.