Elkhart Institute Association (Elkhart, Indiana, USA)
Elkhart Institute Association was a stock company incorporated in the state of Indiana 16 May 1895, with 15 original stockholders, for the purpose of owning and operating a Mennonite school in the city of Elkhart, Indiana, specifically to take over the Elkhart Institute from its owner, Dr. H. A. Mumaw. The original capital stock was $10,000, later raised to $25,000. The Association elected a board of directors of nine members which carried on the work of the Association. The first president was Dr. H. A. Mumaw, the secretary A. C. Kolb. J. S. Coffman was the president from 1896 to his death in 1899, followed by M. S. Wambold 1899-1902, and John Blosser, 1902-6. J. S. Hartzler was secretary 1896- 1906, and Lewis Kulp treasurer 1898-1904. In 1901 the board of directors was enlarged from 9 to 25, selected from the various conference districts of the Mennonite Church (MC) throughout the United States and Canada; previously the membership had been largely local of Elkhart and Northern Indiana. In 1903 the Association moved the school to Goshen, renaming it Goshen College, although the corporate name remained unchanged. In 1906 the Association turned over all its assets to the Mennonite Board of Education, organized in that year as the official educational corporation of the Mennonite Church (MC), although the Association was not legally dissolved until 16 October 1911. Thus what had originally been a local self-appointed group of interested persons in northern Indiana developed finally into a nation-wide official church board. The men of the Association were the pioneers who for eleven years carried the burden and opened the way for Goshen College with its highly significant contribution in educational leadership and service to the Mennonite Church (MC).
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Elkhart Institute Association (Elkhart, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 25 Feb 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Elkhart_Institute_Association_(Elkhart,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=80421.
Bender, Harold S. (1956). Elkhart Institute Association (Elkhart, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 February 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Elkhart_Institute_Association_(Elkhart,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=80421.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 187. All rights reserved.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.