Difference between revisions of "Culm Military Academy (Culm, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)"

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search
[checked revision][checked revision]
m (Corrected article, which stated that the Academy was destroyed by fire in 1912.)
m (Added image.)
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
[[File:Culm Military Academy.jpg|300px|thumb|right|''Culm Military Academy, Culm, Poland, 2 July 2018.<br />
 +
Photo by Richard D. Thiessen'']]
 
The Culm Military Academy, a building and institution in the city of [[Culm (Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)|Culm]], then in [[West Prussia|West Prussia]], built in 1778 by [[Friedrich II, King of Prussia (1712-1786)|King Frederick the Great]], was closely associated with the history of the Mennonites of West Prussia. For its support the Mennonites had to contribute 5,000 talers annually, thereby purchasing their continued exemption from military conscription. Until 1 April 1884 it was used to train officers for the army. Then it became the barracks of a battalion of sharpshooters. On 20 June 1774 a mandate was issued ordering the Mennonites in West Prussia and [[Lithuania|Lithuania]] to pay 5,000 talers annually as of 1 June 1773, for the benefit of the Culm academy. But not until the <em>Gnadenprivilegium</em> of Frederick the Great of 29 March 1780, did they receive an express guarantee of freedom from military duty. The sum had to be paid until the revocation of the privilege of military freedom on 9 November 1867.
 
The Culm Military Academy, a building and institution in the city of [[Culm (Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)|Culm]], then in [[West Prussia|West Prussia]], built in 1778 by [[Friedrich II, King of Prussia (1712-1786)|King Frederick the Great]], was closely associated with the history of the Mennonites of West Prussia. For its support the Mennonites had to contribute 5,000 talers annually, thereby purchasing their continued exemption from military conscription. Until 1 April 1884 it was used to train officers for the army. Then it became the barracks of a battalion of sharpshooters. On 20 June 1774 a mandate was issued ordering the Mennonites in West Prussia and [[Lithuania|Lithuania]] to pay 5,000 talers annually as of 1 June 1773, for the benefit of the Culm academy. But not until the <em>Gnadenprivilegium</em> of Frederick the Great of 29 March 1780, did they receive an express guarantee of freedom from military duty. The sum had to be paid until the revocation of the privilege of military freedom on 9 November 1867.
  

Revision as of 15:44, 3 June 2019

Culm Military Academy, Culm, Poland, 2 July 2018.
Photo by Richard D. Thiessen

The Culm Military Academy, a building and institution in the city of Culm, then in West Prussia, built in 1778 by King Frederick the Great, was closely associated with the history of the Mennonites of West Prussia. For its support the Mennonites had to contribute 5,000 talers annually, thereby purchasing their continued exemption from military conscription. Until 1 April 1884 it was used to train officers for the army. Then it became the barracks of a battalion of sharpshooters. On 20 June 1774 a mandate was issued ordering the Mennonites in West Prussia and Lithuania to pay 5,000 talers annually as of 1 June 1773, for the benefit of the Culm academy. But not until the Gnadenprivilegium of Frederick the Great of 29 March 1780, did they receive an express guarantee of freedom from military duty. The sum had to be paid until the revocation of the privilege of military freedom on 9 November 1867.

The building, a large barracks-like structure, was damaged by a fire on 18 August 1912 but repaired and was eventually converted into an apartment building.

Bibliography

Brons, A. Ursprung, entwickelung und shicksale der altevangelischen taufgesinnten oder Mennoniten in kurzen Zugen übersichtlich dargestellt. Emden, 1912.

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon,  4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. I, 383.

Mannhardt, W. Die Wehrfreiheit der Altpreussischen Mennoniten. Danzig, 1863.

Mennonitische Blätter (1912): 66 f.


Author(s) Christian Neff
Date Published 1953


Cite This Article

MLA style

Neff, Christian. "Culm Military Academy (Culm, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 18 Jul 2019. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Culm_Military_Academy_(Culm,_Kuyavian-Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=164111.

APA style

Neff, Christian. (1953). Culm Military Academy (Culm, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 July 2019, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Culm_Military_Academy_(Culm,_Kuyavian-Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=164111.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 746. All rights reserved.


©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.