Crossroads Bible Fellowship (Balko, Oklahoma, USA)
The Crossroads Bible Fellowship (originally Bethel Mennonite Brethren, and beginning in 1961 Balko Mennonite Brethren Church) near Balko, Oklahoma, was organized 2 March 1906, with 14 members. S. L. Hodel was chosen as leader and J. H. Neufeld deacon. In December 1906 Gerhard Bartel became presiding minister. Services were held in various homes until 1907, when the first church was built. This was enlarged in 1912. In 1913 Isaac Harms was elected minister and H. P. Kliewer deacon. In 1916 the church was sold and a new one built. From 1916 to 1926 Fred Just served the church as minister. H. H. Martens, elected to the ministry in 1919, assisted for some time.
From 1926 to 1946 H. P. Kliewer served the church as presiding minister. Following that D. H. Penner led the church. In 1946 the church was rebuilt and enlarged. The 1951 membership was 124.
In 1970 the congregation made a move to its present location at Bryan’s Corner, the intersection of two highways about eight miles (13 km) from Balko. In 2006 they chose a new name, Crossroads Bible Fellowship, in part to reflect the church's location at the highway junction and in part to reflect the congregation's openness newcomers.
"Balko Church celebrates 100 years." The Herald Democrat. http://www.beavercowchipnews.com/balko_news.htm (accessed 7 April 2009).
Address: Bryan's Corner, Balko, Oklahoma
|Author(s)||C. F. Plett|
|Date Published||April 2009|
Cite This Article
Plett, C. F. and Sam Steiner. "Crossroads Bible Fellowship (Balko, Oklahoma, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2009. Web. 23 Oct 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Crossroads_Bible_Fellowship_(Balko,_Oklahoma,_USA)&oldid=115385.
Plett, C. F. and Sam Steiner. (April 2009). Crossroads Bible Fellowship (Balko, Oklahoma, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 October 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Crossroads_Bible_Fellowship_(Balko,_Oklahoma,_USA)&oldid=115385.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 310. All rights reserved.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.