Difference between revisions of "Coventry Mennonite Church (Chester County, Pennsylvania, USA)"

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(added categories)
 
(One intermediate revision by one other user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
Coventry Mennonite Church ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), now extinct, located in East Coventry Township, [[Chester County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Chester County]], [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]], was the first Mennonite congregation in this area. Mennonite settlers came into the Coventry community as early as 1739, and probably conducted their religious services in private homes prior to the erection of the first meetinghouse (1751). The second Coventry meetinghouse was built in 1798 at the present location. The 1954 building was erected in 1890.
+
Coventry Mennonite Church ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), now extinct, located in East Coventry Township, [[Chester County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Chester County]], [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]], was the first Mennonite congregation in this area. Mennonite settlers came into the Coventry community as early as 1739, and probably conducted their religious services in private homes prior to the erection of the first meetinghouse (1751). The second Coventry meetinghouse was built in 1798 at the present location. The last building was erected in 1890.
  
 
Church services at Coventry were conducted by the ministers of the nearby Vincent congregation, though Coventry was originally a larger congregation. However, by 1890 its membership had dwindled to about 20. In 1882 a Sunday school was organized at Coventry as a union school with the [[Brethren Church|Church of the Brethren]]. This, however, led to some difficulties resulting in the discontinuance of the Sunday school and gradual loss of members to other churches. By 1914 services at Coventry were discontinued.
 
Church services at Coventry were conducted by the ministers of the nearby Vincent congregation, though Coventry was originally a larger congregation. However, by 1890 its membership had dwindled to about 20. In 1882 a Sunday school was organized at Coventry as a union school with the [[Brethren Church|Church of the Brethren]]. This, however, led to some difficulties resulting in the discontinuance of the Sunday school and gradual loss of members to other churches. By 1914 services at Coventry were discontinued.
  
 
The maintenance of the German language in the services and its location on the outer fringe of the [[Franconia Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Franconia Mennonite Conference]] were probably the causes for the rapid decline and final extinction of the congregation. The cemetery is now completely in the control of non-Mennonites.
 
The maintenance of the German language in the services and its location on the outer fringe of the [[Franconia Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Franconia Mennonite Conference]] were probably the causes for the rapid decline and final extinction of the congregation. The cemetery is now completely in the control of non-Mennonites.
 
 
  
 
= Maps =
 
= Maps =
 
[[Map:Coventry Mennonite Church|Map:Coventry Mennonite Church]]
 
[[Map:Coventry Mennonite Church|Map:Coventry Mennonite Church]]
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 727|date=1953|a1_last=Leatherman|a1_first=Quintus|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 727|date=1953|a1_last=Leatherman|a1_first=Quintus|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 +
 +
[[Category:Churches]]
 +
[[Category:Mennonite Church (MC) Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Franconia Mennonite Conference Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Extinct Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Pennsylvania Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:United States Congregations]]

Latest revision as of 20:43, 17 March 2014

Coventry Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), now extinct, located in East Coventry Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania, was the first Mennonite congregation in this area. Mennonite settlers came into the Coventry community as early as 1739, and probably conducted their religious services in private homes prior to the erection of the first meetinghouse (1751). The second Coventry meetinghouse was built in 1798 at the present location. The last building was erected in 1890.

Church services at Coventry were conducted by the ministers of the nearby Vincent congregation, though Coventry was originally a larger congregation. However, by 1890 its membership had dwindled to about 20. In 1882 a Sunday school was organized at Coventry as a union school with the Church of the Brethren. This, however, led to some difficulties resulting in the discontinuance of the Sunday school and gradual loss of members to other churches. By 1914 services at Coventry were discontinued.

The maintenance of the German language in the services and its location on the outer fringe of the Franconia Mennonite Conference were probably the causes for the rapid decline and final extinction of the congregation. The cemetery is now completely in the control of non-Mennonites.

Maps

Map:Coventry Mennonite Church


Author(s) Quintus Leatherman
Date Published 1953

Cite This Article

MLA style

Leatherman, Quintus. "Coventry Mennonite Church (Chester County, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 24 Jan 2022. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Coventry_Mennonite_Church_(Chester_County,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116055.

APA style

Leatherman, Quintus. (1953). Coventry Mennonite Church (Chester County, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 January 2022, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Coventry_Mennonite_Church_(Chester_County,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116055.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 727. All rights reserved.


©1996-2022 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.