Civilian Public Service Camp (Lapine, Oregon, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Lapine Civilian Public Service Camp No. 60 was located about 18 miles (30 km) west of Lapine, Oregon. It was opened in December 1942. A Bureau of Reclamation camp, its chief project was the building of an irrigation dam on the upper Deschutes River. Because of its excellent buildings capable of housing 600 men and the immensity of the project Selective Service changed it into a government-operated camp. The Mennonite Central Committee ended its operation of Civilian Public Service No. 60 on 31 December 1943, the day before it became government camp No. 128.

Bibliography

Gingerich, Melvin. Service for Peace: A History of Mennonite Civilian Public Service. Akron, PA: Mennonite Central Committee, 1949.


Author(s) Melvin Gingerich
Date Published 1957

Cite This Article

MLA style

Gingerich, Melvin. "Civilian Public Service Camp (Lapine, Oregon, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 Aug 2022. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Camp_(Lapine,_Oregon,_USA)&oldid=79631.

APA style

Gingerich, Melvin. (1957). Civilian Public Service Camp (Lapine, Oregon, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 August 2022, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Civilian_Public_Service_Camp_(Lapine,_Oregon,_USA)&oldid=79631.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 294. All rights reserved.


©1996-2022 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.