Difference between revisions of "Cimarron Church of God in Christ Mennonite (Cimarron, Kansas, USA)"

From GAMEO
Jump to navigation Jump to search
[checked revision][checked revision]
m (Text replace - "<strong>Phone</strong>" to "'''Phone'''")
(replaced article)
 
(2 intermediate revisions by one other user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
The Cimarron [[Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (CGC)|Church of God in Christ, Mennonite]] Church is located 1 1/4 miles (two km) south of Cimarron, Gray County, [[Kansas (USA)|Kansas]]. It was organized in 1914. The first meetings were held in homes conducted by Peter A. Friesen, and later in a schoolhouse, with Henry A. Koehn as pastor. The schoolhouse was purchased in 1923 north and west of Cimarron. Sunday school was first organized in January 1929.
+
__TOC__
 +
The Cimarron [[Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (CGC)|Church of God in Christ, Mennonite]] congregation south of Cimarron, [[Kansas (USA)|Kansas]], USA was established in 1914. The congregation started when families first settled northeast of Cimarron. Minister Peter A. Friesen of Montezuma, Kansas conducted early worship services for the community. Later a schoolhouse, one mile north and five miles east of Cimarron, was used, and later purchased in 1923.
  
Later Reuben J. Koehn and Ben T. Koehn were ordained to the ministry and Jake Wadel and Henry Redger as deacons. The Depression years were very difficult, and many members moved away because of drought. Membership dropped as low as 13. The old school building was in poor condition, and sometimes dust storms forced the congregation to meet in homes. The building was moved to the present location and remodeled in 1944; it was dedicated 29 October 1944.
+
The 1930s were very difficult for the Cimarron congregation as leadership was sometimes intermittent and dust storms made meeting for worship difficult. Often the church was filled with dust on Sunday even though it had been cleaned on Saturday. The furnace was also inadequate, leading the members to sometimes meet in homes. After Sam Koehn moved to the community, the congregation decided to move the schoolhouse building to the church's present location, as most members now lived south of Cimarron. It was dedicated at the new location on 29 October 1944.
 +
 
 +
The congregation constructed a new church in 1960 and dedicated it on 22 January 1961. A large addition was added in 1978, with another addition in 1990.
  
Sam L. Fricke moved to the community in 1943 and served as pastor until his death in 1947, after which H. J. Mininger served for a while. It had a Sunday-school enrollment of 68 and a membership of 72 in 1953. The congregation was active in supporting missions, [[Mennonite Central Committee (International)|Mennonite Central Committee]], and relief. It had an active [[Sewing Circle|sewing circle]].
+
The congregation began the Cimarron Christian School in 1979 in the church's Sunday school rooms. A separate school building opened in January 1999. Originally teachers lived in a mobile home, but it was destroyed by a tornado on 4 July 1987. A more permanent teacherage was completed by January 1988.
  
A new church building was dedicated on 22 January 1961, and an addition was completed in 1978. A school was begun in 1979 in the church's Sunday school room. In 1999 a separate school building was completed. In 2009 the membership 104.
+
In 2020 the congregation was part of the [[Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (CGC)|Church of God in Christ, Mennonite]]. The ministers were Keith Ensz and Karlin Koehn.
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
<em>Histories of the Congregations</em>. 3rd. ed. Moundridge, Kan.: Gospel Publishers; Church of God in Christ, Mennonite, 1999: 260-262.
+
 
 +
Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. ''Yearbook'' (1996-2020).
 +
 
 +
''Histories of the congregations.'' 3rd. ed. Moundridge, Kansas: Gospel Publishers, 1999: 260-263.
 
= Additional Information =
 
= Additional Information =
<strong>Address</strong>: 16002 SR 23, Cimarron, Kansas
+
 
 +
'''Address''': 16002 KS-23, Cimarron, Kansas 67835
  
 
'''Phone''': 620-855-3433
 
'''Phone''': 620-855-3433
  
<strong>Denominational Affiliation</strong>: [http://churchofgodinchristmennonite.net/ Church of God in Christ, Mennonite]
+
'''Website''':
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 603|date=April 2010|a1_last=Unruh|a1_first=Abe|a2_last=Steiner|a2_first=Sam }}
+
 
 +
'''Denominational Affiliations''':
 +
 
 +
[https://churchofgodinchristmennonite.net// Church of God in Christ, Mennonite]
 +
== Ordained Pastors at the Cimarron Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Church ==
 +
{| class="wikitable"
 +
|-
 +
! Name !! Years<br/>of Service
 +
|-
 +
| Peter A. Friesen<br />(Nonresident) || 1914-1915
 +
|-
 +
| Henry A. Koehn (1862-1932) || 1915-1920s
 +
|-
 +
| John A. Koehn (1885-1966) || 1929-1932
 +
|-
 +
| Ben T. Koehn (1906-1981) || 1933-1938
 +
|-
 +
| Reuben J. Koehn (1907-1995) || 1935-1936
 +
|-
 +
| Samuel L. Fricke (1902-1947) || 1943-1947
 +
|-
 +
| Vernon Giesbrecht (1923-2011) || 1948-1975<br />1980-2001
 +
|-
 +
| Samuel Jantzen (1921-1997) || 1952-1960
 +
|-
 +
| Wilbur L. Koehn (1929-2019) || 1958-1994<br />2000-2008
 +
|-
 +
| Eli Nightingale (1928-2015) || 1960-1976
 +
|-
 +
| Curt Ensz (1935-2012) || 1968-1999<br />2006-2010
 +
|-
 +
| Dallas Koehn || 1992-1996<br />1998-2019
 +
|-
 +
| Keith Ensz || 1994-present
 +
|-
 +
| Karlin Koehn || 2019-present
 +
|}
 +
== Membership at Cimarron Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Church ==
 +
{| class="wikitable" style="text-align: right;"
 +
|-
 +
! Year !! Membership
 +
|-
 +
| 1937? || 13
 +
|-
 +
| 1953 || 72
 +
|-
 +
| 1995 || 98
 +
|-
 +
| 2000 || 106
 +
|-
 +
| 2010 || 107
 +
|-
 +
| 2020 || 113
 +
|}
 +
 
 +
= Original Mennonite Encyclopedia Article =
 +
 
 +
By Abe Unruh. Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from ''Mennonite Encyclopedia'', Vol. 1, p. 603. All rights reserved.
 +
 
 +
The Cimarron Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Church is located 1 1/4 miles south of Cimarron, Gray County, Kansas. It was organized in 1914. The first meetings were held in homes conducted by Peter A. Friesen, and later in a schoolhouse, with Henry A. Koehn as pastor. The schoolhouse was purchased in 1923 north and west of Cimarron. Sunday school was first organized in January 1929.
 +
 
 +
Later Reuben J. Koehn and Ben T. Koehn were ordained to the ministry and Jake Wadel and Henry Redger as deacons. The Depression years were very difficult, and many members moved away because of drought. Membership dropped as low as 13. The old school building was in poor condition, and sometimes dust storms forced the congregation to meet in homes. The building was moved to the present location and remodeled in 1944; it was dedicated 29 October 1944.
 +
 
 +
Sam L. Fricke moved to the community in 1943 and served as pastor until his death in 1947, after which H. J. Mininger served for a while. It had a Sunday-school enrollment of 68 and a membership of 72 in 1953. The congregation was active in supporting missions, Mennonite Central Committee, and relief. It had an active sewing circle.
 +
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=|date=January 2021|a1_last=Steiner|a1_first=Samuel J|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 +
[[Category:Churches]]
 +
[[Category:Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Kansas Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:United States Congregations]]

Latest revision as of 15:24, 8 January 2021

The Cimarron Church of God in Christ, Mennonite congregation south of Cimarron, Kansas, USA was established in 1914. The congregation started when families first settled northeast of Cimarron. Minister Peter A. Friesen of Montezuma, Kansas conducted early worship services for the community. Later a schoolhouse, one mile north and five miles east of Cimarron, was used, and later purchased in 1923.

The 1930s were very difficult for the Cimarron congregation as leadership was sometimes intermittent and dust storms made meeting for worship difficult. Often the church was filled with dust on Sunday even though it had been cleaned on Saturday. The furnace was also inadequate, leading the members to sometimes meet in homes. After Sam Koehn moved to the community, the congregation decided to move the schoolhouse building to the church's present location, as most members now lived south of Cimarron. It was dedicated at the new location on 29 October 1944.

The congregation constructed a new church in 1960 and dedicated it on 22 January 1961. A large addition was added in 1978, with another addition in 1990.

The congregation began the Cimarron Christian School in 1979 in the church's Sunday school rooms. A separate school building opened in January 1999. Originally teachers lived in a mobile home, but it was destroyed by a tornado on 4 July 1987. A more permanent teacherage was completed by January 1988.

In 2020 the congregation was part of the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. The ministers were Keith Ensz and Karlin Koehn.

Bibliography

Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. Yearbook (1996-2020).

Histories of the congregations. 3rd. ed. Moundridge, Kansas: Gospel Publishers, 1999: 260-263.

Additional Information

Address: 16002 KS-23, Cimarron, Kansas 67835

Phone: 620-855-3433

Website:

Denominational Affiliations:

Church of God in Christ, Mennonite

Ordained Pastors at the Cimarron Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Church

Name Years
of Service
Peter A. Friesen
(Nonresident)
1914-1915
Henry A. Koehn (1862-1932) 1915-1920s
John A. Koehn (1885-1966) 1929-1932
Ben T. Koehn (1906-1981) 1933-1938
Reuben J. Koehn (1907-1995) 1935-1936
Samuel L. Fricke (1902-1947) 1943-1947
Vernon Giesbrecht (1923-2011) 1948-1975
1980-2001
Samuel Jantzen (1921-1997) 1952-1960
Wilbur L. Koehn (1929-2019) 1958-1994
2000-2008
Eli Nightingale (1928-2015) 1960-1976
Curt Ensz (1935-2012) 1968-1999
2006-2010
Dallas Koehn 1992-1996
1998-2019
Keith Ensz 1994-present
Karlin Koehn 2019-present

Membership at Cimarron Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Church

Year Membership
1937? 13
1953 72
1995 98
2000 106
2010 107
2020 113

Original Mennonite Encyclopedia Article

By Abe Unruh. Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 603. All rights reserved.

The Cimarron Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Church is located 1 1/4 miles south of Cimarron, Gray County, Kansas. It was organized in 1914. The first meetings were held in homes conducted by Peter A. Friesen, and later in a schoolhouse, with Henry A. Koehn as pastor. The schoolhouse was purchased in 1923 north and west of Cimarron. Sunday school was first organized in January 1929.

Later Reuben J. Koehn and Ben T. Koehn were ordained to the ministry and Jake Wadel and Henry Redger as deacons. The Depression years were very difficult, and many members moved away because of drought. Membership dropped as low as 13. The old school building was in poor condition, and sometimes dust storms forced the congregation to meet in homes. The building was moved to the present location and remodeled in 1944; it was dedicated 29 October 1944.

Sam L. Fricke moved to the community in 1943 and served as pastor until his death in 1947, after which H. J. Mininger served for a while. It had a Sunday-school enrollment of 68 and a membership of 72 in 1953. The congregation was active in supporting missions, Mennonite Central Committee, and relief. It had an active sewing circle.


Author(s) Samuel J Steiner
Date Published January 2021

Cite This Article

MLA style

Steiner, Samuel J. "Cimarron Church of God in Christ Mennonite (Cimarron, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 2021. Web. 5 Dec 2021. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Cimarron_Church_of_God_in_Christ_Mennonite_(Cimarron,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=169731.

APA style

Steiner, Samuel J. (January 2021). Cimarron Church of God in Christ Mennonite (Cimarron, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 5 December 2021, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Cimarron_Church_of_God_in_Christ_Mennonite_(Cimarron,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=169731.




©1996-2021 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.