Chulupi Indian Mission
The Chulupi Indian Mission (Mennonite Brethren), located in the Mennonite Colony Fernheim in the Paraguayan Chaco, had its headquarters in the town of Filadelfia of the same colony. The Chulupi first came to Fernheim in 1934 from the Pilcomayo River area, southwest of the Mennonite settlement. As more Indians arrived the Fernheim churches felt the need for a mission to them and in 1946 the first missionaries, Jakob and Helene Franz of Coaldale, Alberta, were sent to Fernheim by the Mennonite Brethren Board of Foreign Missions of North America, to assist the local churches in this undertaking. In 1949 two other missionaries, Kornelius Isaak and Gerhard Hein of Fernheim Colony, were added to the working staff. Difficulty was encountered by the staff in learning the unwritten Chulupi language, and in the nomadic unstable habits of the tribe. There was no interference from the Catholic Church. The mission was supported by the Mennonite Brethren Board of Foreign Missions in cooperation with the churches in the Chaco.
|Author(s)||Jacob H Franz|
Cite This Article
Franz, Jacob H. "Chulupi Indian Mission." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 23 Jan 2021. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Chulupi_Indian_Mission&oldid=86788.
Franz, Jacob H. (1953). Chulupi Indian Mission. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 January 2021, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Chulupi_Indian_Mission&oldid=86788.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 591. All rights reserved.
©1996-2021 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.