Chestnut Ridge Mennonite Church (Orrville, Ohio, USA)
The Chestnut Ridge Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located near Orrville, Wayne County, Ohio, was a member of the Ohio and Indiana Conference of the Old Order Mennonite Church. Worship was held on alternate Sundays in the County Line Mennonite Church. The congregation began when it separated in 1873 from the Martins Mennonite Church and the Pleasant View Mennonite Church (which were one congregation until 1930) in objection to English preaching and Sunday school. Sunday services were alternated with the Martin's congregation until 1908 when the frame building (Chestnut Ridge) was built, which was remodeled in 1939. In 1907 a group led by Daniel Brubaker withdrew, and joined the Bishop Martin group of Indiana which rejected modern inventions (chiefly the telephone) and English preaching. Ministers who served the congregation until 1953, which had a membership of 160 in 1950, were Benjamin Good, David Wenger, Henry Hursh, Jacob Tyson, Daniel Brubaker, Elmer Good and Cleophas Steiner. In 1953 a group withdrew to affiliate with the Virginia Mennonite Conference. This group became the present Chestnut Ridge Mennonite Church.
In 2009 there were 121 members; the pastor was Marvin J. Zuercher. The congregation closed its doors on 3 June 2018.
"Chestnut Ridge shares memories at closing worship service." Ohio Mennonite Evangel 72, no. 4 (July/August 2018): 6.
Address: 14366 Church Road, Orrville, Ohio
|Date Published||July 2018|
Cite This Article
Bauman, Harold and Sam Steiner. "Chestnut Ridge Mennonite Church (Orrville, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 2018. Web. 22 Aug 2019. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Chestnut_Ridge_Mennonite_Church_(Orrville,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=161153.
Bauman, Harold and Sam Steiner. (July 2018). Chestnut Ridge Mennonite Church (Orrville, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 August 2019, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Chestnut_Ridge_Mennonite_Church_(Orrville,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=161153.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 554. All rights reserved.
©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.