Charity Committee (Western District, General Conference Mennonite Church)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Charity Committee (originally called Poor Relief Committee, then Relief Committee) of the Western District of the General Conference Mennonite Church was a committee whose primary responsibility was the aid and support of such destitute persons within the geographical limits of the Western District as were not provided for by individual churches. Its work began in 1893 when David Goerz, chairman of the Western District Conference, appointed a committee whose immediate purpose it should be to provide seed wheat for Mennonite settlers in Hodgeman County, Kansas. The committee was also authorized to give other aid as needed. The following year this committee became permanent. It was originally called the Poor Relief Committee, then the Relief committee (in 1915). It became the Charity Committee in 1945.  Its total receipts in 1958 amounted to $1,507. 

The Charity Committee was abolished in 1965. The Peace and Service Committee continued some aspect of the Charity Committee's work for at least a decade.

Bibliography

Haury, David A. Prairie People: a History of the Western District Conference. Newton, KS: Faith and Life Press, 1981: 154-156, 364-365.


Author(s) John F. Schmidt
Sam Steiner
Date Published March 2010


Cite This Article

MLA style

Schmidt, John F. and Sam Steiner. "Charity Committee (Western District, General Conference Mennonite Church)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2010. Web. 20 May 2019. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Charity_Committee_(Western_District,_General_Conference_Mennonite_Church)&oldid=79565.

APA style

Schmidt, John F. and Sam Steiner. (March 2010). Charity Committee (Western District, General Conference Mennonite Church). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 May 2019, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Charity_Committee_(Western_District,_General_Conference_Mennonite_Church)&oldid=79565.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1072. All rights reserved.


©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.