Ch'ang-Yuan (Hebei Province, China)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Ch'ang-Yuan is a county (hsien) in the southern tip of the province of Hebei, China, encompassing an area of about 900 square miles with the Yellow River flowing through the middle. Besides the county seat, which is also called Ch'ang-yuan there was a walled city of 25,000 inhabitants, 700 small villages and 50 larger market towns with a total population of about 381,000 in the mid-1950s.

Mission work was conducted in the county by the General Conference Mennonite Church after 1915 with buildings for church, primary schools, and workers' homes in the city of Ch'ang-yuan. In 1940 there were five congregations and several preaching places in the county with 12 Chinese workers and 200 baptized Christians.


Author(s) Samuel Floyd Pannabecker
Date Published 1953


Cite This Article

MLA style

Pannabecker, Samuel Floyd. "Ch'ang-Yuan (Hebei Province, China)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 17 Aug 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ch%27ang-Yuan_(Hebei_Province,_China)&oldid=86638.

APA style

Pannabecker, Samuel Floyd. (1953). Ch'ang-Yuan (Hebei Province, China). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 August 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ch%27ang-Yuan_(Hebei_Province,_China)&oldid=86638.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 548. All rights reserved.


©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.