Canton Old Order Amish Settlement (Canton, Minnesota, USA)
The Swartzentruber Old Order Amish settlement in Fillmore County, Minnesota, USA began in 1974 with the arrival of families from the Wayne County, Ohio settlement. The settlement extends from the area surrounding the small community of Canton, westward to Harmony and northwest towards Preston. Jacob H. Hershberger and Daniel M. Hershberger were early ministers who came from Ohio.
The Swartzentruber Amish are among the most conservative of the Old Order Amish groups. They began in 1913 over the issue of shunning former members who joined another Amish or Mennonite group. The Swartzentruber Amish today are known for refusing to use slow-moving vehicle triangles on the back of their buggies.
In 2012 there were six districts (congregations) with a total population of about 850 in the Canton settlement.
Amish America. "Minnesota Amish." 2017. Web. 10 August 2017. http://amishamerica.com/minnesota-amish/.
Donnermeyer, Joseph F., et al. "The Amish Population: County Estimates and Settlement Patterns of the 'Old Orders'" Paper presented at the 75th annual meeting of the Rural Sociological Society, Palmer House, Chicago, Illinois (27 July 2012): 45.
Karlan Keim Family. Amish Communities of Iowa/Minnesota 2015. Drakesville, Iowa: Karlan Keim Family, 2015: 382-390.
Kraybill, Donald B., Karen M. Johnson-Weiner, and Steven M. Nolt. The Amish. Baltimore, Md.: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2013: 148.
|Date Published||August 2017|
Cite This Article
Steiner, Sam. "Canton Old Order Amish Settlement (Canton, Minnesota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. August 2017. Web. 19 Oct 2019. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Canton_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Canton,_Minnesota,_USA)&oldid=153975.
Steiner, Sam. (August 2017). Canton Old Order Amish Settlement (Canton, Minnesota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 October 2019, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Canton_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Canton,_Minnesota,_USA)&oldid=153975.
©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.