Black Creek Mennonite Meetinghouse (Stevensville, Ontario, Canada)

Revision as of 21:06, 26 February 2014 by SamSteiner (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Black Creek church was located four miles (6.5 km) west of Stevensville. Jacob Krehbiel served in 1880 as a congregational leader. The congregation dissolved in 1880. It had been affiliated with the Mennonite Conference of Ontario. The language of worship was English and German; the transition from German occurred in the 1860s.

The congregation began services about 1827. Jacob Krehbiel is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through immigration from the United States.

Black Creek was also known as the Log Church. Jacob Krehbiel withdrew from Mennonite Conference of Ontario and began a General Conference Mennonite church located in Stevensville.


Burkholder, L. J. A brief history of the Mennonites in Ontario: giving a description of conditions in early Ontario, the coming of the Mennonites into Canada, settlements, congregations, conferences, other activities, and nearly 400 ordinations. [Ontario: Mennonite Conference of Ontario], 1935.

Author(s) Marlene Epp
Date Published April 1986

Cite This Article

MLA style

Epp, Marlene. "Black Creek Mennonite Meetinghouse (Stevensville, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 1986. Web. 7 Apr 2020.,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=114256.

APA style

Epp, Marlene. (April 1986). Black Creek Mennonite Meetinghouse (Stevensville, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 7 April 2020, from,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=114256.

©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.