Bethel College Press (North Newton, Kansas, USA)
Bethel College Press, North Newton, Kansas. In 1902 Bethel College purchased a "Little Model Printing Office," to provide for the printing needs of the college, such as the college paper and blanks for college use and some job printing. An addressograph was added in 1905. In 1906 the press was discontinued because of lack of experienced help.
The matter remained dormant until 1933 when the Bethel College Board of Directors authorized the purchase of a printing press as a part of the new student industries program. More equipment was added from time to time, until the output of the print shop consisted of periodicals, pamphlets, and books in addition to considerable job work. At times it furnished employment to as many as 25 students.
Almost from the beginning of the new venture efforts were made toward co-operation of the College Press with the General Conference Mennonite Board of Publication (GCM). In 1949 an agreement was worked out between the two respective boards which was approved by the executive committee of the General Conference, and accepted by the conference. The printing interests of Bethel College and of the General Conference Board of Publication thus became a joint venture operating under a separate Board of Directors of the Mennonite Press. The Mennonite Press was originally located in the Grattan Building on the Bethel College campus.
|Author(s)||Peter J Wedel|
Cite This Article
Wedel, Peter J. "Bethel College Press (North Newton, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 7 May 2021. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_College_Press_(North_Newton,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=75507.
Wedel, Peter J. (1953). Bethel College Press (North Newton, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 7 May 2021, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_College_Press_(North_Newton,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=75507.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 308. All rights reserved.
©1996-2021 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.