Bethel College (Mishawaka, Indiana, USA)
Bethel College of the Missionary Church, located at 1001 West McKinley Avenue, Mishawaka, Indiana, was originally owned and operated by four conferences of the church, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Nebraska, under charter granted by the State of Indiana in 1947. In 1953 it was a four-year college with two divisions, Liberal Arts College and School of the Bible. It offered a major in Biblical literature and in other regular college fields leading to the B.A. and B.R. degrees. Attendance in 1951/52 was 216, 135 liberal arts, 46 Bible, and 35 special and postgraduate with a faculty of 15 including part-time instructors. The school had a beautiful campus of 40 acres. Its main administration building was completed in 1951.
After the 1968/69 merger of the Missionary Church Association and the United Missionary Church, Bethal College went through difficult times, dropping to 89 resident students in Spring 1986, and faced bankruptcy. However it enjoyed a spectacular renaissance (increasing to over 2000 students in fall 2006), and gained national recognition for religious revival, rapid growth, aggressive administration, academic innovation, artistic performance and athletic prowess.
Bethel College. "The Missionary Church, Inc. (est. 1969)." 2006. Accessed 28 December 2006 <http://www.bethelcollege.edu/about/history.php>
Bethel College website
|Author(s)||J. A Huffman|
Cite This Article
Huffman, J. A. "Bethel College (Mishawaka, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 18 Apr 2021. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_College_(Mishawaka,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=75502.
Huffman, J. A. (1953). Bethel College (Mishawaka, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 April 2021, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethel_College_(Mishawaka,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=75502.
©1996-2021 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.