Bethany Christian Church (Smith, Alberta, Canada)
The Bethany Christian (formerly Bethany Mennonite) congregation began services in July 1946, and formally organized on 5 October 1947. The first building was occupied in 1960, with a subsequent building program in 1996/97. Willis Yoder is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through outreach by the Alberta-Saskatchewan Conference and Willis Yoder.
With the 1997 building, the Bethany congregation moved into town. It had been located five miles (eight km) southeast of Smith.
Minister Joe Mrak served in 2009 as a congregational leader. The language of worship is English.
Mennonite Reporter 24(8 January 1996): 11; 25 (14 April 1997): 11.
Stauffer, Ezra. History of the Alberta-Saskatchewan Mennonite Conference. 1960: 4.
Willis Yoder collection at Archives of the Mennonite Church, Goshen, Indiana contains information about the church's beginnings.
Mailing Address: Box 113 Smith, AB T0G 2B0
Northwest Mennonite Conference (1947-present)
Mennonite Church (1946-2001)
Bethany Christian Church Membership
|Date Published||January 1998|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. "Bethany Christian Church (Smith, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1998. Web. 25 May 2019. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethany_Christian_Church_(Smith,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=141646.
Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. (January 1998). Bethany Christian Church (Smith, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2019, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethany_Christian_Church_(Smith,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=141646.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 304. All rights reserved.
©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.