Difference between revisions of "Bethany Mennonite Church (Imlay City, Michigan, USA)"

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
Line 1: Line 1:
 
Bethany Mennonite Church ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), southwest of Imlay City, Lapeer County, [[Michigan (USA)|Michigan]], was organized on 17 June 1918 under the [[Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference]] by Peter Ropp, its first leader. Paul Wittrig, ordained for this congregation in 1938, was the minister in 1954. In 1953 the membership was 30. Other ministers who served the congregation were Simon Sommer, Wayne Wenger, Sam Hostetler, Leonard Schmucker, Arthur Zehr, and Lloyd Miller. Due to declining membership and the inability to support a part-time pastor, the congregation sold the church building in 1986. Remaining members continued to meet periodically as a fellowship before officially closing in 1998.  
 
Bethany Mennonite Church ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]]), southwest of Imlay City, Lapeer County, [[Michigan (USA)|Michigan]], was organized on 17 June 1918 under the [[Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA)|Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference]] by Peter Ropp, its first leader. Paul Wittrig, ordained for this congregation in 1938, was the minister in 1954. In 1953 the membership was 30. Other ministers who served the congregation were Simon Sommer, Wayne Wenger, Sam Hostetler, Leonard Schmucker, Arthur Zehr, and Lloyd Miller. Due to declining membership and the inability to support a part-time pastor, the congregation sold the church building in 1986. Remaining members continued to meet periodically as a fellowship before officially closing in 1998.  
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 303|date=1953|a1_last=Wittrig|a1_first=Paul A|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 303|date=1953|a1_last=Wittrig|a1_first=Paul A|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 +
[[Category:Churches]]
 +
[[Category:Mennonite Church (MC) Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Indiana Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:United States Congregations]]
 +
[[Category:Extinct Congregations]]

Revision as of 11:07, 1 December 2018

Bethany Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), southwest of Imlay City, Lapeer County, Michigan, was organized on 17 June 1918 under the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference by Peter Ropp, its first leader. Paul Wittrig, ordained for this congregation in 1938, was the minister in 1954. In 1953 the membership was 30. Other ministers who served the congregation were Simon Sommer, Wayne Wenger, Sam Hostetler, Leonard Schmucker, Arthur Zehr, and Lloyd Miller. Due to declining membership and the inability to support a part-time pastor, the congregation sold the church building in 1986. Remaining members continued to meet periodically as a fellowship before officially closing in 1998.


Author(s) Paul A Wittrig
Date Published 1953


Cite This Article

MLA style

Wittrig, Paul A. "Bethany Mennonite Church (Imlay City, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 12 Dec 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethany_Mennonite_Church_(Imlay_City,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=162526.

APA style

Wittrig, Paul A. (1953). Bethany Mennonite Church (Imlay City, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 12 December 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Bethany_Mennonite_Church_(Imlay_City,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=162526.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 303. All rights reserved.


©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.