Beemer Mennonite Church (Beemer, Nebraska, USA)

Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Plum Creek Amish Mennonite Church began with Amish Mennonite families began migrating to Cuming County, Nebraska, from the Oberlin, Kansas area in 1894. Previously, these families came from Hopedale, Illinois; some Illinois relatives soon joined them.

Bishop Joseph Schlegel organized the Plum Creek congregation in 1895 with 14 charter members. The group met in the Spencer Schoolhouse northwest of Beemer until 1907.

Worship and Sunday school services remained in German until World War I when a shift began to English. Peter Oswald and Joseph Schantz continued to preach in German until their deaths, and a German Sunday school class continued for older members.

The congregation built a simple frame meetinghouse in 1907. It expanded the building by 10 feet in 1911. The congregation built an addition with a basement in 1927 and installed electric lights in 1940. In July 1958, it had a ground-breaking for a new church on the edge of Beemer; at the time of its dedication on 15 March 1959, it changed its name to Beemer Mennonite Church.

The first Young People's Bible meetings began in 1918, and a women's sewing circle began in 1930. Summer Bible school began in 1946.

In 2023 the congregation was part of the Central Plains Mennonite Conference of Mennonite Church USA.


Kauffman, Lois. "Sixty-three years at Plum Creek." Gospel Herald 50, no. 27 (2 July 1957): 623, 630.

Yoder, Holly Blosser. The same spirit: History of Iowa-Nebraska Mennonites. Freeman, S.D.: Central Plains Mennonite Conference, 2003: 37, 55.

Additional Information

Address: 327 Sherman St., Beemer, Nebraska 68716

Phone: 402-528-7255


Denominational Affiliations: Central Plains Mennonite Conference

Mennonite Church USA

Pastoral Leaders at Beemer Mennonite Church

Name Years
of Service
Jacob D. "J. D." Birky (1855-1926)
Joseph H. "J. H." Birky (1850-1927) 1896-1927
Peter Oswald (1864-1934) 1901-1934
Joseph Grieser (1824-1911) 1903-1911
Joseph Schantz (1856-1934) 1911-1934
Peter O. "P. O." Oswald (1883-1970) 1925-1970
Jacob W. "J. W." Oswald (1881-1958) 1927-1940
Samuel "Sam" Oswald (1901-1992)
Earnest F. Kauffman (1913-2011) 1973-1984?
Ivan E. Troyer (1932-1993) 1977-1989
Clarence R. Sutter (1921-1998)(Interim) 1989-1991
Roger Hazen 1991-1999
Jarvis Hochstedler 2000?-2004
Gordon Scoville (Interim) 2004-2005
Lewis W. Miller 2005-

Membership at Beemer Mennonite Church

Year Membership
1920 80
1930 110
1940 147
1950 125
1960 150
1970 177
1980 175
1990 167
2000 138
2007 144
2020 126

Original Mennonite Encyclopedia Article

By Samuel Oswald. Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 197. All rights reserved.

Plum Creek Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), 2 miles east and 2½ north of Beemer, Cuming County, Nebraska, a member of the Iowa-Nebraska Mennonite Conference, was organized in 1895 with 14 charter members, with Jacob D. Birky the first resident minister, ordained here in 1895. The first meetinghouse was built in 1907 on the present site, and has been twice en­larged.

Author(s) Samuel J Steiner
Date Published March 2023

Cite This Article

MLA style

Steiner, Samuel J. "Beemer Mennonite Church (Beemer, Nebraska, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2023. Web. 29 Nov 2023.,_Nebraska,_USA)&oldid=175311.

APA style

Steiner, Samuel J. (March 2023). Beemer Mennonite Church (Beemer, Nebraska, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 November 2023, from,_Nebraska,_USA)&oldid=175311.

©1996-2023 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.