Assen (Drenthe, Netherlands)
Assen is the capital of the Dutch province of Drenthe (2007 population, 64,000), where on 15 March 1896 several Mennonite residents formed a Mennonite group. B. P. Plantinga of Meppel conducted the first service on 20 September 1896, and came regularly to preach and to give catechetical instruction. The group became a congregation on 28 May 1899, but remained united with Meppel until 1916. From 1917 to 1948 it was united with Stadskanaal, and after 1950 again with Meppel. For many years the Assen congregation held its meetings in a rented hall (of the Nutsgebouw). In 1908 it acquired a church of its own, dedicated 10 October. The membership of the church was 45 in 1900, 51 in 1926, and 95 in 1952.
After B. P. Plantinga removed from Meppel in 1897, Assen was served by the preachers of Meppel: A. Binnertsz Szn, 1897-1902; W. J. Kühler, 1902-1905; T. H. van Veen, 1905-1916, the latter in Meppel until 1940. In 1917 Assen acquired a minister of its own in S. Spaans, 1917-1939, later in combination with Stadskanaal. After him came H. J. de Wilde, 1941-1946; Miss M. Knot, 1946-1947. In the 1950s the congregation had a woman's association and a Sunday school for the children.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1896): 204; (1897): 253; (1899): 209; (1910): 88-99.
Reliwiki. "Assen, Oranjestraat 13 - Doopsgezinde Kerk." 19 February 2014. Web. 12 October 2014. http://reliwiki.nl/index.php/Assen,_Oranjestraat_13_-_Doopsgezinde_Kerk.
Address: Doopsgezinde Gemeente te Assen, Oranjestraat 13, Assen, Netherlands
Website: Doopsgezinde Gemeente te Assen
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
Cite This Article
Zijpp, Nanne van der. "Assen (Drenthe, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 24 Nov 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Assen_(Drenthe,_Netherlands)&oldid=126152.
Zijpp, Nanne van der. (1953). Assen (Drenthe, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 November 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Assen_(Drenthe,_Netherlands)&oldid=126152.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 179. All rights reserved.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.