Difference between revisions of "Ashtabula County Mennonite Church (South Windsor, Ohio, USA)"

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130820)
m (Text replace - "Ohio (State)" to "Ohio (USA)")
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The Mennonite Church in Ashtabula County, [[Ohio (State)|Ohio]], was founded near South Windsor by [[Amish Mennonites|Amish Mennonite]] settlers in 1907. Officially known as the Maple Grove Church, it was a member of the [[Eastern Amish Mennonite Conference|Eastern Amish Mennonite Conference]]. On 12 February 1911 Levi Hartzler of [[West Liberty (Ohio, USA)|West Liberty]], Ohio, was ordained minister by [[Allgyer, Samuel Evans (1859-1953)|Bishop S. E. Allgyer]]<strong>. </strong>After two years of service Hartzler returned to [[West Liberty (Ohio, USA)|West Liberty]], and the little band dispersed. In 1919 settlement began again near East Orwell. H. N. Troyer moved from [[Harrisonburg (Virginia, USA)|Harrisonburg]], [[Virginia (USA)|Virginia]], to East Orwell late in 1923 and was elected Sunday school superintendent in 1924. Later he was licensed to preach and in 1925 was ordained and became resident pastor. Troyer moved away in 1929, and in 1932 the [[Plainview Mennonite Church (Aurora, Ohio, USA)|Plainview Church]] near Aurora, Ohio, was given full charge of the work. All the active workers later moved away, and the church was sold to another denomination.
+
The Mennonite Church in Ashtabula County, [[Ohio (USA)|Ohio]], was founded near South Windsor by [[Amish Mennonites|Amish Mennonite]] settlers in 1907. Officially known as the Maple Grove Church, it was a member of the [[Eastern Amish Mennonite Conference|Eastern Amish Mennonite Conference]]. On 12 February 1911 Levi Hartzler of [[West Liberty (Ohio, USA)|West Liberty]], Ohio, was ordained minister by [[Allgyer, Samuel Evans (1859-1953)|Bishop S. E. Allgyer]]<strong>. </strong>After two years of service Hartzler returned to [[West Liberty (Ohio, USA)|West Liberty]], and the little band dispersed. In 1919 settlement began again near East Orwell. H. N. Troyer moved from [[Harrisonburg (Virginia, USA)|Harrisonburg]], [[Virginia (USA)|Virginia]], to East Orwell late in 1923 and was elected Sunday school superintendent in 1924. Later he was licensed to preach and in 1925 was ordained and became resident pastor. Troyer moved away in 1929, and in 1932 the [[Plainview Mennonite Church (Aurora, Ohio, USA)|Plainview Church]] near Aurora, Ohio, was given full charge of the work. All the active workers later moved away, and the church was sold to another denomination.
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 176|date=1953|a1_last=Umble|a1_first=John S|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 1, p. 176|date=1953|a1_last=Umble|a1_first=John S|a2_last= |a2_first= }}

Latest revision as of 03:24, 20 February 2014

The Mennonite Church in Ashtabula County, Ohio, was founded near South Windsor by Amish Mennonite settlers in 1907. Officially known as the Maple Grove Church, it was a member of the Eastern Amish Mennonite Conference. On 12 February 1911 Levi Hartzler of West Liberty, Ohio, was ordained minister by Bishop S. E. Allgyer. After two years of service Hartzler returned to West Liberty, and the little band dispersed. In 1919 settlement began again near East Orwell. H. N. Troyer moved from Harrisonburg, Virginia, to East Orwell late in 1923 and was elected Sunday school superintendent in 1924. Later he was licensed to preach and in 1925 was ordained and became resident pastor. Troyer moved away in 1929, and in 1932 the Plainview Church near Aurora, Ohio, was given full charge of the work. All the active workers later moved away, and the church was sold to another denomination.


Author(s) John S Umble
Date Published 1953


Cite This Article

MLA style

Umble, John S. "Ashtabula County Mennonite Church (South Windsor, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 24 Sep 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ashtabula_County_Mennonite_Church_(South_Windsor,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113190.

APA style

Umble, John S. (1953). Ashtabula County Mennonite Church (South Windsor, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 September 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ashtabula_County_Mennonite_Church_(South_Windsor,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113190.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 176. All rights reserved.


©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.