Altendorf (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
Altendorf (now known as Starza; coordinates: 54.2604, 19.1474 [54° 15′ 37″ N, 19° 08′ 50″ E]; population in 1905, 199) is located approximately 5 kilometres (3 mi.) north-east of Nowy Dwór Gdański (Tiegenhof), 18 km. (11 mi.) north-west of Elbląg (Elbing), and 26 km. (16 mi.) north-east of Malbork (Marienburg).
Until 1772 Altendorf was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which Altendorf was located. Altendorf was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland.
The 1776 Prussian census lists 20 Mennonite families in Altendorf with the following surnames: Barg, Bruhn, Friesen, Goosen, Kroeker, Lepp, Letkemann, Mantler, Nackel, Rahn, Reimer, Schellenberg, Schultz, Wieb, Wieler, and Wiens. In 1820 Altendorf had 125 inhabitants, of which 55 were Mennonite.
Mennonites who were residents of Altendorf were members of the Tiegenhagen Mennonite Church.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 22 December 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=132.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||December 2012|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Altendorf (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2012. Web. 24 Sep 2020. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Altendorf_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=79208.
Thiessen, Richard D. (December 2012). Altendorf (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 September 2020, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Altendorf_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=79208.
©1996-2020 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.