Adelsheim (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)
Adelsheim (Dolinovka), founded in 1869, was a village of the Chortitza settlement in South Russia. The railroad station was Chortitza, some twenty miles (33 km) distant, and the post office was Nikolaipol. In 1918 the land area of 5,300 acres was occupied by sixty-four farmers with a population of 334. Most of the inhabitants were members of the Mennonite Church with a church building at Nikolaipol. There was also a Mennonite Brethren congregation.
After the Revolution only a little more than one-third of the land was given to the Adelsheim collective. In 1930 the minister of the Mennonite Brethren congregation, Peter Unger, and another family were exiled as kulaks. The ministers of the Mennonite Church, David Penner and Dietrich Pauls, were silenced. From 1936 to 1939, seventeen more men were exiled. In 1941 when the Germans approached, the whole village was to be evacuated to the East, but only seven persons were sent away. Five men had been drafted into the Red Army. During the German occupation the economic, cultural, and religious life was revived.
On 4 October 1943 the inhabitants of Adelsheim left their homes on fifty-four wagons for Apostolovo to proceed by train to Lodz; they left Lodz on 17 January 1945 to escape the approaching Red Army. Of the 382 persons from Adelsheim, 198 were sent back to Russia, mostly to Siberia. Most of those who remained in Germany found new homes in Canada.
Cite This Article
Krahn, Cornelius. "Adelsheim (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1955. Web. 17 Jul 2019. https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Adelsheim_(Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=130384.
Krahn, Cornelius. (1955). Adelsheim (Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 July 2019, from https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Adelsheim_(Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=130384.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 11. All rights reserved.
©1996-2019 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.