From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:22, 16 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Zwartsluis, a town in the Dutch province of Overijssel (1959 pop. c3,300, with 41 Mennonites), seat of a Mennonite congregation, concerning whose beginning and history little is known. In April 1648 the States of Overijssel discussed whether Mennonite meetings held in Zwartsluis should not be forbidden; but obviously church life went on. Most members were engaged in shipping. The membership was always small: (figures of the 16th-18th centuries not available), 40 in 1840, 47 in 1861, 31 in 1900, 21 in 1958. In the late 1950s the meetinghouse was built in 1842; the organ is of 1881. As early as 1724 the congregation, subsidized by the Lamist church of Amsterdam, was served by a salaried (untrained) minister called from outside. From 1809 the Zwartsluis congregation received financial support from the Dutch government, the first Dutch Mennonite church to which such a contribution was given. Untrained ministers served here until 1860, the last two of whom were Jan Geertsz van Wierum 1788-d.1825 (he died of shock because of a severe flood which destroyed his books) and Harmen Wybes Woudstra 1826-d.1860. The first graduate of the Amsterdam seminary to serve here was A. Snellen 1861-1867, followed by J. P. Müller 1867-1872, C. Leendertz 1873-1875, Tj. Kielstra 1876-1885, who from 1880 on also served at Meppel as did his successor H. Koekebakker Jr., who served at Zwartsluis 1886-d.1890. The pulpit then remained vacant until 1896. The agreement with Meppel lasted only until 1892. S. van der Goot served at Zwartsluis 1896-98, followed by A. de Vries Mzn 1898-1903, W. Koekebakker 1904-1909, M. Huizinga, Jr. 1910-1914, and P. Ens 1915-1916. In 1917-41 Zwartsluis was served by the pastors of Meppel and since 1942 by those of Kampen.


Bibliography

Cate, Steven Blaupot ten. Geschiedenis der Doopsgezinden in Groningen, Overijssel en Oost-Friesland. 2 v. Leeuwarden: W. Eekhoff en J. B. Wolters, 1842: v. I, 65; v. II, 105, 239.

Doopsgezinde Bijdragen. (1861): 174; (1880): 166 f.; (1881): 48; (1882): 118f.; (1893): 137; (1901): 5.

Hoop Scheffer, Jacob Gijsbert de. Inventaris der Archiefstukken berustende bij de Vereenigde Doopsgezinde Gemeente to Amsterdam. 2 v. Amsterdam: Uitgegeven en ten geschenke aangeboden door den Kerkeraad dier Gemeente, 1883-1884: v. II, Nos. 2434-55.



Author(s) Nanne van der Zijpp
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Zwartsluis (Overijssel, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 2 Jul 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zwartsluis_(Overijssel,_Netherlands)&oldid=62302.

APA style

van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1959). Zwartsluis (Overijssel, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 July 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zwartsluis_(Overijssel,_Netherlands)&oldid=62302.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Kitchener, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1049. All rights reserved.


©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.