From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[checked revision][checked revision]
m (Text replace - "Doopsgezinde Gemeente to Amsterdam</em>. 2 v." to "Doopsgezinde Gemeente to Amsterdam</em>, 2 vols.")
m (Text replace - ". 2 v." to ", 2 vols.")
Line 1: Line 1:
 
Zwartsluis, a town in the Dutch province of Overijssel (1959 pop. c3,300, with 41 Mennonites), seat of a Mennonite congregation, concerning whose beginning and history little is known. In April 1648 the States of Overijssel discussed whether Mennonite meetings held in Zwartsluis should not be forbidden; but obviously church life went on. Most members were engaged in shipping. The membership was always small: (figures of the 16th-18th centuries not available), 40 in 1840, 47 in 1861, 31 in 1900, 21 in 1958. In the late 1950s the meetinghouse was built in 1842; the organ is of 1881. As early as 1724 the congregation, subsidized by the Lamist church of [[Amsterdam (Noord-Holland, Netherlands)|Amsterdam]], was served by a salaried (untrained) minister called from outside. From 1809 the Zwartsluis congregation received financial support from the Dutch government, the first Dutch Mennonite church to which such a contribution was given. Untrained ministers served here until 1860, the last two of whom were Jan Geertsz van Wierum 1788-d.1825 (he died of shock because of a severe flood which destroyed his books) and Harmen Wybes Woudstra 1826-d.1860. The first graduate of the [[Amsterdam Mennonite Theological Seminary (Kweekschool)|Amsterdam seminary]] to serve here was A. Snellen 1861-1867, followed by J. P. Müller 1867-1872, C. Leendertz 1873-1875, [[Kielstra, Tjepke (1852-1936)|Tj. Kielstra]] 1876-1885, who from 1880 on also served at [[Meppel (Drenthe, Netherlands)|Meppel]] as did his successor H. Koekebakker Jr., who served at Zwartsluis 1886-d.1890. The pulpit then remained vacant until 1896. The agreement with Meppel lasted only until 1892. S. van der Goot served at Zwartsluis 1896-98, followed by A. de Vries Mzn 1898-1903, W. Koekebakker 1904-1909, M. Huizinga, Jr. 1910-1914, and P. Ens 1915-1916. In 1917-41 Zwartsluis was served by the pastors of Meppel and since 1942 by those of [[Kampen (Overijssel, Netherlands)|Kampen]].
 
Zwartsluis, a town in the Dutch province of Overijssel (1959 pop. c3,300, with 41 Mennonites), seat of a Mennonite congregation, concerning whose beginning and history little is known. In April 1648 the States of Overijssel discussed whether Mennonite meetings held in Zwartsluis should not be forbidden; but obviously church life went on. Most members were engaged in shipping. The membership was always small: (figures of the 16th-18th centuries not available), 40 in 1840, 47 in 1861, 31 in 1900, 21 in 1958. In the late 1950s the meetinghouse was built in 1842; the organ is of 1881. As early as 1724 the congregation, subsidized by the Lamist church of [[Amsterdam (Noord-Holland, Netherlands)|Amsterdam]], was served by a salaried (untrained) minister called from outside. From 1809 the Zwartsluis congregation received financial support from the Dutch government, the first Dutch Mennonite church to which such a contribution was given. Untrained ministers served here until 1860, the last two of whom were Jan Geertsz van Wierum 1788-d.1825 (he died of shock because of a severe flood which destroyed his books) and Harmen Wybes Woudstra 1826-d.1860. The first graduate of the [[Amsterdam Mennonite Theological Seminary (Kweekschool)|Amsterdam seminary]] to serve here was A. Snellen 1861-1867, followed by J. P. Müller 1867-1872, C. Leendertz 1873-1875, [[Kielstra, Tjepke (1852-1936)|Tj. Kielstra]] 1876-1885, who from 1880 on also served at [[Meppel (Drenthe, Netherlands)|Meppel]] as did his successor H. Koekebakker Jr., who served at Zwartsluis 1886-d.1890. The pulpit then remained vacant until 1896. The agreement with Meppel lasted only until 1892. S. van der Goot served at Zwartsluis 1896-98, followed by A. de Vries Mzn 1898-1903, W. Koekebakker 1904-1909, M. Huizinga, Jr. 1910-1914, and P. Ens 1915-1916. In 1917-41 Zwartsluis was served by the pastors of Meppel and since 1942 by those of [[Kampen (Overijssel, Netherlands)|Kampen]].
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
Cate, Steven Blaupot ten. <em class="gameo_bibliography">Geschiedenis der Doopsgezinden in Groningen, Overijssel en Oost-Friesland</em>. 2 v. Leeuwarden: W. Eekhoff en J. B. Wolters, 1842: v. I, 65; v. II, 105, 239.
+
Cate, Steven Blaupot ten. <em class="gameo_bibliography">Geschiedenis der Doopsgezinden in Groningen, Overijssel en Oost-Friesland</em>, 2 vols. Leeuwarden: W. Eekhoff en J. B. Wolters, 1842: v. I, 65; v. II, 105, 239.
  
 
<em class="gameo_bibliography">Doopsgezinde Bijdragen</em>. (1861): 174; (1880): 166 f.; (1881): 48; (1882): 118f.; (1893): 137; (1901): 5.
 
<em class="gameo_bibliography">Doopsgezinde Bijdragen</em>. (1861): 174; (1880): 166 f.; (1881): 48; (1882): 118f.; (1893): 137; (1901): 5.

Revision as of 20:06, 23 January 2014

Zwartsluis, a town in the Dutch province of Overijssel (1959 pop. c3,300, with 41 Mennonites), seat of a Mennonite congregation, concerning whose beginning and history little is known. In April 1648 the States of Overijssel discussed whether Mennonite meetings held in Zwartsluis should not be forbidden; but obviously church life went on. Most members were engaged in shipping. The membership was always small: (figures of the 16th-18th centuries not available), 40 in 1840, 47 in 1861, 31 in 1900, 21 in 1958. In the late 1950s the meetinghouse was built in 1842; the organ is of 1881. As early as 1724 the congregation, subsidized by the Lamist church of Amsterdam, was served by a salaried (untrained) minister called from outside. From 1809 the Zwartsluis congregation received financial support from the Dutch government, the first Dutch Mennonite church to which such a contribution was given. Untrained ministers served here until 1860, the last two of whom were Jan Geertsz van Wierum 1788-d.1825 (he died of shock because of a severe flood which destroyed his books) and Harmen Wybes Woudstra 1826-d.1860. The first graduate of the Amsterdam seminary to serve here was A. Snellen 1861-1867, followed by J. P. Müller 1867-1872, C. Leendertz 1873-1875, Tj. Kielstra 1876-1885, who from 1880 on also served at Meppel as did his successor H. Koekebakker Jr., who served at Zwartsluis 1886-d.1890. The pulpit then remained vacant until 1896. The agreement with Meppel lasted only until 1892. S. van der Goot served at Zwartsluis 1896-98, followed by A. de Vries Mzn 1898-1903, W. Koekebakker 1904-1909, M. Huizinga, Jr. 1910-1914, and P. Ens 1915-1916. In 1917-41 Zwartsluis was served by the pastors of Meppel and since 1942 by those of Kampen.

Bibliography

Cate, Steven Blaupot ten. Geschiedenis der Doopsgezinden in Groningen, Overijssel en Oost-Friesland, 2 vols. Leeuwarden: W. Eekhoff en J. B. Wolters, 1842: v. I, 65; v. II, 105, 239.

Doopsgezinde Bijdragen. (1861): 174; (1880): 166 f.; (1881): 48; (1882): 118f.; (1893): 137; (1901): 5.

Hoop Scheffer, Jacob Gijsbert de. Inventaris der Archiefstukken berustende bij de Vereenigde Doopsgezinde Gemeente to Amsterdam, 2 vols. Amsterdam: Uitgegeven en ten geschenke aangeboden door den Kerkeraad dier Gemeente, 1883-1884: v. II, Nos. 2434-55.


Author(s) Nanne van der Zijpp
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Zijpp, Nanne van der. "Zwartsluis (Overijssel, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 26 Jun 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zwartsluis_(Overijssel,_Netherlands)&oldid=112056.

APA style

Zijpp, Nanne van der. (1959). Zwartsluis (Overijssel, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 June 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zwartsluis_(Overijssel,_Netherlands)&oldid=112056.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Kitchener, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1049. All rights reserved.


©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.