Zwaagwesteinde (Friesland, Netherlands)
Zwaagwesteinde, a village in the Dutch province of Friesland (coordinates: 53°15′19 N, 6° 2' E). Mennonites living here in the 17th and 18th centuries belonged to the Kollumerzwaag congregation. As more and more of the members moved to Zwaagwesteinde and because the meetinghouse at Kollumerzwaag was dilapidated, a new meetinghouse was built at Zwaagwesteinde, dedicated on 5 May 1816. The congregation was then generally called Zwaagwesteinde and Kollumerzwaag, or simply Zwaagwesteinde. After the death of the (untrained) preacher A. H. Bosma in 1838 the pulpit remained vacant, and in 1844 the few members who were left joined the neighboring Dantumawoude congregation. In 1897 S. D. A. Wartena, the pastor of Veenwouden, started catechetical instruction here, and in 1904 the 47 Mennonites living at Zwaagwesteinde, members of Veenwouden and Dantumawoude, organized a Kring (circle), which built a meetinghouse in the same year. Services were held at Zwaagwesteinde by the pastors of Veenwouden and Dantumawoude and others. In 1949 the Kring Zwaagwesteinde became an independent congregation. The membership in 1958 was 66, served by the pastor of Veenwouden. Church activities include a ladies' circle, youth group 18-25, Sunday school for children, and a choir.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1903): 164-70, 187; (1905): 30, 192 f., 199.
Doopsgezind Jaarboekje (1949): 34.
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
Cite This Article
van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Zwaagwesteinde (Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 Nov 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zwaagwesteinde_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=79103.
van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1959). Zwaagwesteinde (Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 November 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zwaagwesteinde_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=79103.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1048. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.