Zion Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite) of Donnellson, Lee County, Iowa, a member of the Middle District Conference, was organized in the autumn of 1851, and constructed a combined school and church building in 1855, two miles north and one mile west of Donnellson. This building was replaced in 1880 by separate buildings. The present edifice in Donnellson was built in 1909 and the old site is used as a cemetery. The parochial school, begun in 1853, which gradually evolved into a summer German school, was discontinued in 1917.
In 1859 the Zion and West Point congregations invited all Mennonites of North America to a general conference, resulting in the formation in 1860 of the General Conference Mennonite Church. The Zion congregation co-operated in organizing the Central District Conference (then Western) in 1868. The Iowa churches helped in founding the Wadsworth Mennonite School, Ohio, 1868; Christian Schowalter, Zion pastor and teacher, served as its first principal. The membership in 1957 was 208; the pastor was Harold Thiessen.
|Author(s)||Vernon H Neufeld|
 Cite This Article
Neufeld, Vernon H. "Zion Mennonite Church (Donnellson, Iowa, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 8 Mar 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zion_Mennonite_Church_(Donnellson,_Iowa,_USA)&oldid=79043.
Neufeld, Vernon H. (1959). Zion Mennonite Church (Donnellson, Iowa, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 8 March 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zion_Mennonite_Church_(Donnellson,_Iowa,_USA)&oldid=79043.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.