Zealand Flanders (Zeeland, Netherlands)
Zealand Flanders (Zeeuws-Vlaanderen), since 1814 a part of the Dutch province of Zeeland, which borders on Belgium. In the 16th-18th centuries Zealand Flanders, then usually called Staats-Vlaanderen, was governed by the States-General. From about 1567 a large number of refugees from Flanders, both Mennonites and Calvinists, fleeing persecution after the coming of Alva (see Alba), came to Zealand Flanders, some of them settling there and others moving northward. The Reformed synod of Walcheren, which had charge of the Calvinists in Zealand Flanders, as late as 1647 decided to place a guard on the Belgian border to intercept the refugees and to try to win them to the Reformed Church and to prevent their reaching the Mennonite Church. This measure, however, was of little use. About 1630 some Mennonites who had remained in Belgium came secretly to Zealand Flanders, particularly to De Biezen, near Aardenburg, for worship and to have their marriages performed by a Dutch Mennonite elder. A large number of well-known Mennonite families passed through Zealand Flanders on their way to Vlissingen, Middelburg, and Holland, and some Mennonite refugee families, e.g., Dyserinck and van Eeghen, stayed in this area a few generations, belonging to the Aardenburg or the Groede (Cadzand) congregation.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1876): 82 f., 96-108; (1883): 93 f, 108-13; (1884): 114; (1897): 163.
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
Cite This Article
Zijpp, Nanne van der. "Zealand Flanders (Zeeland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 Feb 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zealand_Flanders_(Zeeland,_Netherlands)&oldid=109847.
Zijpp, Nanne van der. (1959). Zealand Flanders (Zeeland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 February 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zealand_Flanders_(Zeeland,_Netherlands)&oldid=109847.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1019. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.