From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:05, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search
Yellow Creek meetinghouse, ca. 1910. Photo courtesy of Archives of Mennonite Church USA.
Yellow Creek meetinghouse, ca. 1910. Photo courtesy of Archives of Mennonite Church USA.
Yellow Creek Old Order and Wisler Mennonite meetinghouse, located slightly south of the Yellow Creek Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church (MC)) in Elkhart County, IN, was built in 1861, renovated about 1900, and enlarged in 1954. After the Wisler schism in 1872, the Wisler and MC groups alternated in the use of the building until 1912, when the MC congregation built its new meetinghouse. In 1907 the Wisler Mennonites divided into two groups, the more conservative Old Order or Martin Mennonites who do not permit telephones or automobiles, and the Wisler or Ramer Mennonites, and these two groups now alternate in the use of the old Yellow Creek meetinghouse and the Blosser meetinghouse (built 1891). The ministers in the Ramer group, which in 1958 had 200 members, were William Ramer bishop, and Paul Hoover and Joseph E. Martin (formerly the bishop in the Martin group) preachers; the ministers in the Martin group were William G. Weaver bishop, and Enos Martin, Henry E. Martin, and Harvey Horst preachers, with a membership of 100.


Author(s) John C Wenger
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Wenger, John C. "Yellow Creek Old Order and Wisler Mennonite meetinghouse (Elkhart County, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 21 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Yellow_Creek_Old_Order_and_Wisler_Mennonite_meetinghouse_(Elkhart_County,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=78910.

APA style

Wenger, John C. (1959). Yellow Creek Old Order and Wisler Mennonite meetinghouse (Elkhart County, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Yellow_Creek_Old_Order_and_Wisler_Mennonite_meetinghouse_(Elkhart_County,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=78910.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1003. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.