Clayton F. Yake was born 25 November 1889 near Lititz, PA and died 22 May 1974 at Mt. Pleasant, PA. After a brief career in educational work, he came to the Mennonite Publishing House (MC) at Scottdale, PA, to serve as founding editor of Youth's Christian Companion, a weekly publication for Mennonite young people. He continued as editor until his retirement in 1954.
In addition, he edited and wrote Sunday school lessons for children, and, after his retirement, for adults. He was editor of Mennonite Summer Bible School materials appearing in 1928 and 1934. He also edited a comprehensive series of summer Bible school materials, first published in 1948. His superintendent's manual for the last-mentioned series served as the thesis for his master's degree in Christian education, received from Winona Lake School of Theology in 1956.
He was a member of the Mennonite Board of Education (MC) from 1935 to 1953 and was involved in a wide variety of activities for young people. He was a charter member and first secretary of what has become Laurelville Mennonite Church Center, Mt. Pleasant, PA. He was superintendent of East Scottdale Sunday School, 1922-1939.
In 1918 he married Martha Eby. She died 1 January 1988. Six of their children were living in 1987.
Reed, Kenneth. Gospel Herald (28 December 1976): 984.
Springer, Nelson and A.J. Klassen, compilers, Mennonite Bibliography, 1631-1961, 2 vols. Scottdale, PA: Herald Press, 1977: II: 522.
Warkentin, A. and Melvin Gingerich, compilers. Who's Who Among the Mennonites. North Newton, KS: Bethel College, 1943: 281.
 Cite This Article
Hertzler, Daniel. "Yake, Clayton Franklin (1889-1974)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1989. Web. 31 Aug 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Yake,_Clayton_Franklin_(1889-1974)&oldid=78893.
Hertzler, Daniel. (1989). Yake, Clayton Franklin (1889-1974). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 31 August 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Yake,_Clayton_Franklin_(1889-1974)&oldid=78893.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.