From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:38, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Woodcrest, one of eleven communities operated by and comprising the Society of Brothers, is located near the junction of New York State High­ways 32 and 213, three miles west of Rifton, about 70 miles north of New York City. It was established early in the summer of 1954 on a woodland tract of 96 acres with about a dozen buildings available for use, to which were added three apartment dwellings, a nursery, and a Center House to replace the Carriage House that burned in 1957. Other buildings served as schoolhouse, a shop, sewing room, laundry, or other maintenance functions. The household, including resident guests and children, com­prised about 230 in the late 1950s, of whom 70 were full members; about half of the household was children. Living expenses were met from the sale of quality, educational toys made of wood, sales being primarily to schools and churches.


Author(s) Bernhard Bargen
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Bargen, Bernhard. "Woodcrest Bruderhof (Rifton, New York, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Woodcrest_Bruderhof_(Rifton,_New_York,_USA)&oldid=86230.

APA style

Bargen, Bernhard. (1959). Woodcrest Bruderhof (Rifton, New York, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Woodcrest_Bruderhof_(Rifton,_New_York,_USA)&oldid=86230.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 976. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.