Wolvega (Friesland, Netherlands)
Wolvega, a town in the Dutch province of Friesland, where a Mennonite congregation was founded in 1861. A hall was bought and adapted into a meetinghouse (remodeled in 1875) and furnished with a pipe organ in 1901. The baptized membership then numbered 36; this number was 92 in 1900, 90 in 1926, and 107 in 1958. At first services were conducted and catechetical instruction given by pastors of neighboring congregations. The first resident pastor of Wolvega was J. S. S. Ballot, serving 1863-1866, followed by C. J. Bakker 1866-1868, S. Wartena Jr. 1868-1873, J. Hoekstra 1874-1879, A. Blaauw Kz 1881-1882, G. ten Cate 1883-1891, M. Uiterdijk 1892-1894, F. van der Ploeg 1894-1898, M. van der Vegte Jr. 1899-1913, W. Banga 1914-1930, vacant 1930-1933, the pastor of Heerenveen 1933-1942, vacant 1942-1947, Miss C. Boerlage 1947-1957. In 1957 the pastoral responsibility was given to Miss T. G. Siccama, who, living at Wolvega, at the same time served the Tjalleberd congregation. In the late 1950s church activities were a ladies' circle, two Menniste-Bouwers clubs, and a Sunday school for children.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1862): 142 f.; (1864): 168; (1902): 247.
Congregation: Doopsgezinde Gemeente Wolvega
Address: Hoofdstraat W 13, 8471 HP Wolvega, Netherlands
Church website: Doopsgezinde Gemeente Wolvega
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
Cite This Article
Zijpp, Nanne van der. "Wolvega (Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 19 Mar 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wolvega_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=140886.
Zijpp, Nanne van der. (1959). Wolvega (Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 March 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wolvega_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=140886.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 972. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.