Witveen (Friesland, Netherlands)
Witveen, a hamlet in the Dutch province of Friesland, the seat of a Mennonite congregation now called Rottevalle. The congregation at Witveen was probably founded ca. 1620, when the peat fens (Dutch, veen) in this area were broken up. The first peat diggers were mostly Mennonites; at first meetings were held in a peat digger's hut, but in 1671 a plain meetinghouse was erected, which was considerably remodeled and enlarged in 1712. This church had some windows painted with Bible texts and the names of members of the congregation, presumably those who had financed this church. In 1714 Witveen joined the Mennonite conference of Friesland (FDS). It then numbered about 60 baptized members, 108 in 1751, and 120 in 1760. At this time some of the members lived at neighboring Rottevalle, and the congregation, at first also called Witveen and Oostermeer, was then mostly called Witveen and Rottevalle, or even Rottevalle and Witveen. More and more Rottevalle became the center of the congregation, particularly after a meetinghouse was built here ca. 1770. In 1810 only a small part of the membership lived at Witveen, and in 1830 the Witveen church was put out of use. For further history of the congregation see Rottevalle.
Cate, Steven Blaupot ten. Geschiedenis der Doopsgezinden in Friesland. Leeuwarden: W. Eekhoff, 1839: 189, note 9.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1872): 33ff.
Doopsgezind Jaarboekje (1940): 22.
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
Cite This Article
Zijpp, Nanne van der. "Witveen (Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 20 Feb 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Witveen_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=126741.
Zijpp, Nanne van der. (1959). Witveen (Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 February 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Witveen_(Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=126741.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 969. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.