Winton Mennonite Brethren Church, located at Winton, California, was organized on 9 June 1922 as the Livingston Mennonite Brethren Church in Livingston, California under the leadership of J. M. Enns. The congregation relocated to the nearby town of Winton in 1924 and took the name Winton Mennonite Brethren Church. The membership in 1957 was 51, with Menno A. Shellenberg as pastor. In 1958 the church moved to Atwater and changed its name to Atwater Mennonite Brethren Church.
In the mid-1960s the congregation merged with the Sharon Mennonite Church and the Bethel Mennonite Church, both of Winton. This new group eventually came to be known as the Atwater United Mennonite Church, though the Mennonite Brethren members did not relinquish their original conference identity until the 1980s. The Atwater United Mennonite Church closed in 1989.
For some years in the 1960s, the Atwater Mennonite Brethren Church used the name Atwater Missionary Brethren Church.
Center for Mennonite Brethren Studies (Fresno, Calif.). "Atwater Mennonite Brethren Church (Atwater, Calif.)." Web. 9 May 2008. http://www.fresno.edu/sharedmedia/library/cb502.pdf.
|Author(s)||Menno A. Schellenberg|
|Richard D. Thiessen|
Cite This Article
Schellenberg, Menno A. and Richard D. Thiessen. "Winton Mennonite Brethren Church (Winton, California, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2008. Web. 20 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Winton_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Winton,_California,_USA)&oldid=116387.
Schellenberg, Menno A. and Richard D. Thiessen. (2008). Winton Mennonite Brethren Church (Winton, California, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Winton_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Winton,_California,_USA)&oldid=116387.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.