Winschoten, a town in the Dutch province of Groningen. From 1872 regular Mennonite services were held here every three weeks in the Lutheran church. In 1885 a Mennonite Kring was organized here as a subdivision of the Midwolda, Beerta, and de Meeden congregation. In 1893 J. A. Wartena, the pastor of this congregation, moved to Winschoten, which gradually became its center, and since 1900 the old Midwolda congregation is called Winschoten. The pastors after Wartena, who served 1893-1901, were F. Dijkema 1901-1905, J. H. van Giessen Jr 1906-1921, then after nine years of vacancy Corn. Vis Jzn 1930-1938, A. du Croix 1939-1944, R. J. Faber 1946-1951, and J. H. Rawie 1953- . In 1931 a meetinghouse was built in Winschoten. The membership numbered 120 in 1900 and 97 in 1958. Church activities at that time were a ladies' circle, youth group (15-18), and Sunday school for children.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1872): 192; (1887): 148.
De Zondagsbode 23 (1909-10): No. 24.
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
Cite This Article
Zijpp, Nanne van der. "Winschoten (Groningen, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 Jan 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Winschoten_(Groningen,_Netherlands)&oldid=109797.
Zijpp, Nanne van der. (1959). Winschoten (Groningen, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 January 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Winschoten_(Groningen,_Netherlands)&oldid=109797.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.